Best connection/pipe for vertical outdoor hose bib?

Users who are viewing this thread

Addink

Reaction score
We have an old townhouse with the water line in the basement and I'm trying to come up with a better way of running water to the backyard. Currently, a long garden hose is attached to a gate valve connected to the copper water line in the basement of the house. It goes up through a gap in the coal hatch into the backyard. Lots of problems with this situation that I'd like to avoid.

My solution is going to be to add a spigot (hose bib? faucet?) to a pipe coming up vertically through a drilled hole in the frame of the coal hatch. But I'm having the hardest time figuring out the best way to to extend the water line a few feet to the outside. I've looked into frost resistant silcocks but they're all designed to go horizontally, flush against the side of the house. I'd like a way to tightly secure to the pipe to the top and bottom of the coal hatch frame. As there is currently a 3/4" threaded connection to the gate hatch, should I extend that water line with braided steel hose? Or cut off the gate value and replace with a new ball valve and then run copper pipes with compression fasteners or Sharkbite connections (with no experience, I don't want to start soldering if I can avoid it). Or extend the water line with a threaded pipe (black pipe, galvanized)?

Below is a sketch of what the situation currently looks like vs what I'd like to set up to help visualize. If anyone has any suggestions of the safest/smartest way to do this, that would be hugely helpful.

Thanks!
David (in Brooklyn)

Attachments

• IMG_5719.jpg
    IMG_5719.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 159

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not use an Iowa hydrant? There would be some spillage due to its freeze proof nature. I think you can plug the drain hole though.

Addink

Reaction score
I don't think I have the space for an Iowa hydrant. Since the hatch is right by the ground floor window, I'm hoping to do something discreet (reference photo attached. You can see an electrician drilled through the frame already so I similarly sized pipe should work too). Frost proofing isn't my biggest concern since I can always turn off the water from inside but I thought it would be the right thing to do. Figuring out the connection between the spigot and the existing water hookup seems like my first hurdle.

IMG_5720.JPG

Addink

Reaction score
I hadn't thought about the need to drain them in the winter. Thanks for the reminder. PEX seems to make sense in that case for the interior with a threaded coupler that can turn to drain the line. If I'm sticking with threaded connections and not running new copper pipe, I might end up adding a brass nipple to the outside and using something like this?
Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 2.49.31 PM.png
Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks