Best Cleaning, Shorter Length Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Loosie

Reaction score
I'm going to put out a scenario:

Old (1937ish) building with concrete-under-tile-under-vinyl floor.
I can't change configuration of bathroom by covenant.
Narrow bathroom with toilet oriented between close walls tight between small vanity and bath.
Current cheapo toilet is 3+ inches from wall and current configuration makes getting into bath beyond the toilet harder than it should be.
**I have IBS so "residue" is a problem (sorry to be indelicate but it's a problem).**

Every added inch in front of the toilet would be a big help.

I would like the shortest-projecting toilet with CEFIONTECT/Wondergliss/similar with a good flush. Help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Current cheapo toilet is 3+ inches from wall and current configuration makes getting into bath beyond the toilet harder than it should be.
Is that from the left/right wall, or the back wall (behind the toilet)?

Reach4

Reaction score
My initial inclination would be for the Toto Soiree (one piece) or Vespin with the 14 inch Unifit adapter. https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst474cefg-specs.pdf These would be elongated.

How far is the front of your current toilet from the wall?

How far from the wall are the current closet bolts (there are probably covers, so measure to the center of the covers)?

I think the CEFIONTECT, now renamed CeFiONtect, is not as helpful as you hope. I expect a Handheld Bidet Sprayer would be useful for both the toilet and other cleanup. A bidet attachment would be even nicer for the other cleanup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loosie

Reaction score

How far from the wall are the current closet bolts (there are probably covers, so measure to the center of the covers)?

TY for the suggestions. I'll look at carefully.

I'll need to measure the bolts and distances when I get home.

As for a bidet sprayer, I'll look at as well. I'm not sure what the options are...I'm not familiar with bidets beyond the general concept and I'm deciding between simply replacing toilet and redoing the bath, which could benefit from some changes.

Loosie

Reaction score

Distance of front of toilet from wall is about 25 inches.

Distance of center of bolts to wall not including trim molding by floor is a bit over 12 inches (it's hard to get in there to measure with precision). The toilet itself is shorter than I thought at 26". The toilet tank is *just* under 3 inches, like 2 15/16" from the wall at closest point.

Further complication: the elbow-looking thing in the attached pic is behind the tank. It projects about an inch and a quarter from the hole in the drywall. No idea what it is.

I realize I need to get someone to come in and look at, but I'd at least like to have an idea what my options are before I do.

Attachments

• 20171205_093104.jpg
    20171205_093104.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 258

Reach4

Reaction score
Current cheapo toilet is 3+ inches from wall

Distance of front of toilet from wall is about 25 inches.
Those two would imply that the current toilet is less than 22 inches from front to back.
The toilet itself is shorter than I thought at 26".
So those three don't add up.

See the dimensioned drawings on these:
https://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/SS-00161_MS854114_MS853113.pdf has dimensions for a Toto Ultimate
The Kohler round San Souci is 25.5+1/2 deep. https://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/K-4007_spec.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Loosie

Reaction score
Those two would imply that the current toilet is less than 22 inches from front to back.

So those three don't add up.

Yah. Sorry for confusion. To clarify, the 25 inches was front of toilet to *opposite* wall, not behind the toilet--I mistakenly thought you were referring to clearance at front. The toilet front of rim to back wall is about 29 iches (26" toilet + hair under 3" to back wall at closest point).

I think it's a matter of moving the new toilet of similar length closer to the wall. I'm thinking they might've used the short toilet because of the elbow thing I posted behind the toilet. No idea what that thing is.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a conventional, 12" RI toilet, so nearly any toilet would fit. WHere is that part in your picture relative to the toilet?

To have that much room behind the toilet, it sounds like they used a 10" RI one.

Most of the Toto line that has the skirted sides (my preference because it is easier to keep clean) has 3/4" behind it when the flange RI is exactly correct. One of Toto's version II toilets will have their newest bowl wash along with the super smooth glaze to help keep things clean.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You may be stuck with having a fairly large gap behind the toilet if you can't move that pipe, or it sticks out more than about 3/4" or so. Most toilets have a gap behind them, but it varies by brand and model, sometimes a fair amount. Toto's toilets tend to be more consistent in size than many of the others, which is why they call the gap behind 'nominal'...it can vary some. You need to look at the spec sheet for a toilet you like to see if it will fit or not.

If that pipe fitting in the wall is low enough, it may not matter, since often, there's a fair amount more room beneath the tank, even when the tank is close to the wall. How high above the floor is that thing?

Loosie

Reaction score
How high above the floor is that thing?

About 19-21" from the floor vertically oriented. It sticks out an inch or a bit more from the drywall. I guess the drywall would need to be opened up for someone to identify function and if it can be rerouted or removed?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
you can probably fudge the toilet forward probably enough to fit, but if you choose one of the Totos that use the Unifit adapter, if you can't, you could always buy the 10" one which would move it forward 2"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks