Best brand/material for bathtub?

Users who are viewing this thread

peterloron

Reaction score
Hello, folks. We're ripping out a cheap enameled steel bathtub in our condo and putting a new one in. The problem is that I'm not sure what to get?

After the rusting problems with the cheap tub, I'm leery of going with cast iron.

On the other side of the coin, I'm worried the acrylic tubs will scratch and look like crap after being used and cleaned for a few years.

Does anybody make a good 60" tub that doesn't require a second mortgage to buy?

Thanks.

-Pete

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
American standard makes a descent tub fo the money. I believe its called Americast. I've installed a few and liked them.

TJanak

Reaction score
Search for Americast on this site and read. Afterwards you'll want to go with cast iron. A good quality cast iron won't rust.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A cast iron tub will last for decades.
I was in the Wisconsin foundry watching cast iron tubs being poured. It was a pretty cool experience. Guys were pouring glowing molten iron wearing short sleeves like it was Summer.

A lighter tub to install is Americast. It's more likely to chip though.

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Search for Americast on this site and read. Afterwards you'll want to go with cast iron. A good quality cast iron won't rust.

I'd like to buy some cast iron that wont rust......any idea where I can buy it? I've installled a few and people love them. No problems with my installs.

All cast iron will rust and thats a fact,with that said I dont have a problem with a cast iron tub I think there top of the line but they must be cared for also.

The installation is a big part of any product lasting as intended. Alot of people dont understand that and blame the product.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I'd like to buy some cast iron that wont rust......

If you damage the finish so the metal is exposed ANY tub will rust, but it will not rust through like a steel tub will. If you abuse the finish, no tub will remain "new looking" very long. Americast is a hybrid material. The fixtures are lighter than cast iron, but more durable than steel.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
quote; I'd like to buy some cast iron that wont rust......

If you damage the finish so the metal is exposed ANY tub will rust, but it will not rust through like a steel tub will. If you abuse the finish, no tub will remain "new looking" very long. Americast is a hybrid material. The fixtures are lighter than cast iron, but more durable than steel.

Yeah I was being sarcastic,I thought everyone knew cast iron will rust.

bsevde

Reaction score
Any thoughts on Toto Cast Iron Tubs vs. Kohler? There are no reviews on line for Toto (must be new item.)

I don't understand the rust issue. I grew up with cast iron tubs and never saw rust spots through the porcelain. I read about cast iron tubs showing rust spots, particularly on the non-skid portion. Also, I read comments about the Americast tubs layers delaminating and difficulty getting getting customer service satisfaction on this issue.. I am a lay person planning my daughter's bathroom remodel. Any advice appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks