Best bathroom vent fan with light?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by AcidWater, Jun 16, 2016.

1. AcidWater

AcidWater Member

Ceiling mount. None of the often mentioned Panasonics have light. Want a simple on/off switch, not some Californi-Crazy eco-Nazi building code contraption.

Vertical discharge would be nice, it would avoid an elbow to get it above the insulation, and I could install rigid PVC sloping down to the soffit.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The Panasonic fans are very quiet. I have one in my main bath with light. I installed with a timer, mainly because people forget to turn them off when they are this quiet. It discharges out the side, so you would need to angle up in a ceiling with insulation.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. lanachurner

lanachurner Member

GE makes good fans. A little cheaper than the Panasonics.
    Quiet.
    I think most fans will be side vented but if you use 4" flexible, insulated duct it is no problem to turn it up.
    I recommend you use two switches. One for the fan and one for the light.
    Nothing gripes me more than to have the fan come on every time you turn on the light.

5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    I too have the Panasonic with a light wired to separate switches.

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    I like the Panasonic units.

If there's an attic above, and you'd like a bunch of free light, you might look into www.solatube.com and get it with their fan assembly. It's remarkable how much light it lets into the room. Even moonlight can be bright enough to find your way in the dark. I've put in three, and it's still amazes me after years how well they work.