Best 40 gallon gas water heater in Pacific northwest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Onokai

Reaction score
I have had great luck with a few long lasting Rheems but I had a friend who's went out in less than 5 years. Tank leaked. The local wholesaler is now stocking AO Smiths as well as Rheems.
I'm wondering about my next natural gas 40 gallon water heater. My own system is an 80 gallon passive Rheem tank on a solar panel pre assist that feeds my gas 40 gallon Rheem. I also have a grundfos smart water circulator pump on bottom of water heater for whole house instant hot water. My question is who makes the longest lasting tanks of these two brands? AO Smith or Rheem?My small area only has two wholesalers and these are the two brands. My tank is about 6-7 years old now. No issues yet. The new tanks are a bit more insulated but so is my model at that time.

I have always gotten at least 10 years or more from a water heater. I have a well and add calcite to system before any hot water feed to tanks so the water is happy and not taking minerals from my tanks or copper supplies or solar system high temps in panels.
What's your experience?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Quote: "My question is who makes the longest lasting tanks of these two brands?AO Smith or Rheem?"

The life of the tank depends a lot on your water. as well as other factors. I've seen some American water heaters, Rheem water heaters, Bradford White water heaters and OA Smith water heaters last over 12 year and also fail after 3 years.

I would get the less expensive unit, when comparing similar units from either mfg (based on the warranty period).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks