Bending copper offset for tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

itsttl

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I just finished my first tile job only to discover that I cut my hole for the tub spout about 1/4" higher than the requirement and now have a situation where the hole is bigger than can be covered by the spout. I would just get an escutcheon plate but our tub faucet is not a around shape at the back of it so it won't work. I was originally going to use threaded brass pipe for the spout but am now thinking of using the spout's copper slip ring feature and using a male npt adapter to connect to a coupling. So it would go:

Drop ear>brass>coupling>male threaded adapter>copper

and I want to bend the copper in an offset to raise the spout the 1/4" required to cover the hole. I have already checked and the spout is tall enough to cover the top and bottom of the hole if the pipe were re-centered. As long as I keep the last inch of the copper pipe true and level the slip fitting will seal and work. My question is: Is there any unforseen side effects to doing this? Will the standing water and air in the pipe corrode the drop ear faster? Will it cause a siphon effect and damage the valve? Will increased back pressure trigger the diverter? I cannot be the first person to have ever done this and I am hoping someone can weigh in. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• offset.jpg
    offset.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 358

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would remove a few tiles and reset the drop ear elbow to the right height.
Re-do the cement board and set the tiles back. Cut a new hole in a new tile to match the spout nipple.
Finish with grout, and viola.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are plenty of tub spouts to choose from now. I notice that there are many now that have a very large section that meets the wall. Your problem must be common. A 1/4" difference means nothing here. Most of those specs are very conservative.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I would remove a few tiles and reset the drop ear elbow to the right height.

I would remove the ONE tile with the hole in it, get a new tile and cut a hole in the proper location, and reset the tile. This is assuming I could not find a spout that would cover the hole in the first place.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably the only way to bend a piece of pipe into the shape you want would be to do it to a longer piece, then cut it to length. It won't be easy, and if you've distorted the ends, you won't be able to get it to fit into the sockets to get a good solder joint. With an offset, you may not be able to screw it into your el in the wall.

Removing one tile may be easier. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. If it's more than a few days, it may not come off that well. If you want to try, first, cut out all of the grout around the tile(s) in question, then, using something like a center punch, crack the tile in the middle, then work your way out to the edges by breaking, and prying the pieces away. Scrape or grind down the leftover thinset, then install a new tile with the hole where it needs to be. Make sure to wear eye protection, and a long-sleeve shirt is a good idea. You might want hearing protection as well. Shards of porcelain tile can be sharp, so consider gloves, too. Protect the tub so you don't scratch it up by stepping on any pieces.

Or, just find a different spout that will cover the hole!

itsttl

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies everyone. We've been busy with installing baseboard/molding/caulking/barn door lol so we haven't tackled the faucet issue just yet but I have taken all your advice into consideration and will let you know how it goes :)

itsttl

Reaction score
Okay, update:

After heating up some copper and trying to bend it I found that it could be done but I kept distorting the ends of the copper somehow out of round so I gave up. I used some leftover grout to patch the missing 1/4" of tile to give the silicone something to sit against. Then I put the spout on using the copper slip-fitting because getting the correct length brass pipe was impossible, even after buying a coupling and every size of pipe they had.... grr... but I just siliconed it a few hours ago and it looks amazing. You cannot even tell until you stick your face right up to it that there was a hole. I hope this helps someone out. [edit] I also soaked the exposed grout with grout sealer and let it dry before hitting it with the 100% silicone.

Attachments

• DSC08909.JPG
    DSC08909.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC08911.JPG
    DSC08911.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC08912.JPG
    DSC08912.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC08913.JPG
    DSC08913.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC08915.JPG
    DSC08915.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 353
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks