Bending 3/8" chromed copper supply pipe to toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
Got a pinhole leak -- finding it is a story. I suppose its a standard length, about 6" but there is an S bend to make it line up. I have a "coiled spring" type pipe bending tool, but no idea how to use it. Does the part come with a compression fitting on the valve side, and need to be flared by me to mate to the toilet valve? That would allow slipping the bending tool over the pipe at least. But I don't know if I have the tool to flare it.

Found dripping under the toilet & top of pipe felt wet so I thought it was the gasket. Then the wife said she found wetness on the tiled wall about 10" to the left. Seemed to be seeping from the grout line. I could not FEEL any spray with my finger or hand, but when I put my finger on the dripping spot, I could feel pressure spurting, and heard a hissing sound. Like it was escaping from behind the wall under pressure. Very weird, especially since no water lines at that height except the shower head risers.

I had to use a strobe light to see the leak -- very, very, VERY tiny pinhole. To feel it, I had to put my finger right next to where it hit the wall & bounced away.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can cut it to size, then just bend it a bit to fit...much easier than an S shape. Use a tube cutter, not a saw. Don't get carried away and cut too short.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the part come with a compression fitting on the valve side, and need to be flared by me to mate to the toilet valve?
I think these compression fittings normally have a ferrule/olive rather than a flare.

Last edited:

Highlander

Reaction score
The ones I've used already have one end pre-flared for the toilet end. You cut the other end (straight tube that goes in compression fitting at the shutoff valve) to suit. Beginner's tip: bend the tube and THEN cut it to size (or rough cut with some slack then bend and do the final cut).

super_zoom.jpg

Last edited:

AcidWater

Reaction score
Why does my pile-o-parts always lack ONE thing? Got a 9" flex, but its too long for the existing angle valve & too short to make a loop. And I have 1/2"" OD pipe straight valves for under the sink, but don't have any 3/4" OD pipe valves for the toilet. Not even an old one I could refurbish. Guess I'll buy a new chrome ring --- no, I HAVE one of those...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks