Belly in the PVC sewage pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ash75

Reaction score
Five months ago we purchased a 10 years old house. Recently we had a sewage backup in the toilet, flooding the bathroom and the water came in the bedroom. My plumber cleaned the sewage line with a very long snake. He ran a camera and said I have a belly under the house in the PVC pipe. He did not have any experience in fixing this so recommended finding another plumber. I have spoken to several plumbers and having trouble finding the right person to do the job. One of them is going to come next week to check. I don't know anything about plumbing, but just by speaking to him over phone I don't feel very confident about his ability to do the job right.
  1. What should I look for when hiring someone for such a specialized job? Is there a plumbing association I can reach out for help.
  2. What is the repairs process for such issue? I could not find much info on belly repair process. There are some YouTube videos on fixing old pipes which have roots but nothing about belly.
  3. How much does this tipically cost? Insurance doesn't cove this and I am really in trouble.

Any advice will be very helpful. Thank you in advance.
Youtube video of the camera in the sewage pipe -

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Is this house built on a slab? I assume so.
Where in the floor plan does this belly sit (under kitchen, in hallway, between rooms, etc..) because it's going to add to the cost if a tile floor needs to come up versus pulling up carpeting or vinyl.
There was another person with this issue about a month ago (I think) maybe that person's thread might help you understand the issues involved.

I'm not a plumber. I would probably wait and see if the line backs up again (maybe add a yearly pipe cleaning) because if this pipe drains fine for everyday use, it may not be worth the expense to try and correct it for a backup that (may) only occur every couple of years.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is hard to determine where the first bend was, but looking at the camera footage it appears that it may be backed up beyond the outside cleanout. If there is standing water at the outside cleanout, I would have the line rodded or jetted between the cleanout and the connection to the municipal sewer to make sure it is completely clear before doing anything else.

Reach4

Reaction score
Recently we had a sewage backup in the toilet, flooding the bathroom and the water came in the bedroom.
You had a backup over the rim of the toilet bowl, but did not have a backup into a shower or tub? Did this backup occur without the toilet being flushed?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If he had a better machine, one that recorded the distances, we would have a better idea of how extensive the "belly" is. One problem, and a better device would tell us this also, is how deep it is when the belly starts and how deep it is when it ends, because if those two dimensions are NOT adequate, there is probably no inexpensive cure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks