Bell&Gossett 100 Series Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Internet

Internet = low prices, + shipping, + possible defective item, + plus cost to ship it back if it is, + plus the time it takes for all this to happen.

justin_24

Reaction score
Just from the little bit of searching I did, the F4 and the F5 are practically the same thing. The Taco site doesn't even reference the F4 any more. So I'm thinking it's proabably been fazed out and the the F5 is a replacement. Same hp, amperage, size, everything. Might want to do a little checking for yourself, but the F5 is probably what you need.

justin_24

Reaction score
Internet = low prices, + shipping, + possible defective item, + plus cost to ship it back if it is, + plus the time it takes for all this to happen.

That's why you buy from site with positive feedback and good reviews. I don't just buy from the first site I fall on. The site I posted had a 4 1/2 star rating and over 109 reviews. Very positive feedback. So I felt comfortable purchasing. The internet isn't completely full of scams and junk. There are legit companies providing good service.

Xroad

Reaction score

I totally agree, but most of us still do it because the ratio of bad to good is still very low. I had my shares of inconvenience to out right scams over internet purchase. In the end, it is a good equalizer to a current $60 pump that my father paid $250 about 20 years ago.

justin_24

Reaction score
Ok so I did the install on the Taco 007-F5 circulator yesterday. All seemed to go well. It's much more quiet. Seems to be circulating fine. But I do have one question. Is the body of the circulator supose to be hot? I figured this was normal because it uses the water for lubrication of the system. If I'm wrong then let me know. It seems to be about as warm as the heated water.... so I'm guessing it's pretty normal. I also didn't realize how much smaller is size this circulator was. It's atleast half the size of the B&G.

Xroad

Reaction score
Ok so I did the install on the Taco 007-F5 circulator yesterday. ....It's at least half the size of the B&G.

I replaced the pump with the F5 pump this weekend. Worked out fine. This is the 4th pump in about 20 years. So the pumps last an average of 5 years each. The pumps were F4, F4, B&G, and now, the F5. I think I bought the last pump, B&G, from HD real fast without shopping around because it was winter and needed to get things fix immediately. Forgot what the cost was ... higher, lower ... Don't know if the B&G pump is better than the Taco.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

The three critical specifications for a pump are; volume, velocity, and head pressure. These three are usually mutually exclusive so you have to concentrate on one of them at the expense of the others. A high volume pump in a high head system could deliver less flow than one with a higher head but lower capacity. And a high velocity pump will create higher head pressure losses which could also diminish its capacity compared to a different model.

Xroad

Reaction score
What Determines Longevity?

I've had the same 007 on my system for 20 yers now.

What determines longevity?

The pump is mounted lower than the water level of the boiler. So, it is never dry.

It is not always "ON". Only when the thermostat kicks on the relay then the pump goes on. Would it make a difference if the pump is running constantly?

The boiler water is always brown, like all steam heat boiler. I flush the boiler at least once per month until the water runs clearer. Would the mineral (brown rust) in the water lowers the lifespan?

Final question, water temperature ... Steam heat boiler is at boiling point. Too hot for the pump?

xroad

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Kharma my friend, determines the path of all who follow the road to enlightenment and circulator life.

justin_24

Reaction score
The F5 is a cartridge pump... so I'm assuming at worse you'd have to replace the cartridge. From what I saw they aren't too expensive. Not sure what you ended up paying for your F5, but I got mine to the door for $72. Not bad considering just a bearing assembly for the B&G was going to be almost double that.

Xroad

Reaction score
The Latest Taco 007-F5 lasted 15 months !

Dang ! The Taco 007-F5 I installed 15 months ago bit the dust ! That certainly throws off the 5 years per pump statistic :mad:

Now what? Do I go get another Taco 007 again?

The whole pump runs around $75 hipping included. The replacement cartridge is about $10 less. If I know the cartridge is the problem, I would get the cartridge alone. But I don't know what failed. Could be the capacitor, or the little circuit board I see tucked in there. Since the delta is small, I will get the whole pump.

Big question ..... is the basic design correct and am I using the correct pump? That is what the plumber installed and I keep replacing with the same pump.

The pump pumps the water up about 6 feet and across the ceiling and back down to the floor level baseboard radiator. The return water goes up to the ceiling height and back down and goes back into the boiler. Both intake and return at the boiler are under the water level of the boiler.

The heating system is steam and the boiler is steam heat boiler. The hot water pump is used to warm a cold room in another part of the basement. The spec for the Taco is 240*F max, should be OK margin for the 212*F water boiling point. Head level is 10 feet, OK there. HP is 1/25HP.

Xroad

Reaction score
justin_24, How's Your Pump Doing?

Justin_24, how's your pump doing?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks