Before I get slammed by the inspector...

Users who are viewing this thread

kimsmaster

Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to thank all the pros who dedicate time to this forum - you are the best!

I am remodeling a second floor master bath, moving the toilet to the other side of the room (within the joist bay) and installing a soaking tub very close to the location of the old toilet.

I have done a ton of research, but I'm not sure I understood everything, so I thought I'd run the plan by you before I start cutting pipe and call the inspector - if this is all wrong I'd rather hear it from you first!

Here (hopefully) are the mockups. I'll attach them in another post if imbedding them in this one doesn't work.
Toilet Plumbing Detail.jpg
Tub Plumbing Detail.png
New Plumbing.jpg

I'm not sure I need the tub vent - the tub may be vented adequately from the toilet vent I have to install since the toilet will now be too far from the main stack. I've drawn up the only option I can think of for the tub vent given the tight space, but any alternatives you can suggest will be welcome.

So criticize to your heart's content...I can take it!

Kim

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I'm no pro, but I enjoy playing "spot the issue". I'm thinking that you have a 180-degree turn in that tub drain with no cleanout. Isn't a cleanout required on horizontal turns of 135 degrees or more?

You have a flat vent there on the water closet. Some states do allow them, provided that you roll that connection so that the run inlet is above the centerline of the drain line, but some states don't. (I am assuming that that is a true flat vent and isn't a wet vent connected above to a sink or something.) If it's a flat vent, it's a bad idea because stuff can get caught in there and then it won't be a vent and you won't know because the toilet will still work fine.

I also don't see how that toilet vent would prevent the siphoning of the tub p-trap, so I'm guessing the pros would say you do want that tub vent. But I will be curious as to what they say. And I'm assuming that you're using that horizontal san-T solely as a vent fitting, so it is okay for that purpose. (Also, how high is that drop to the tub trap? Or is that just an illusion?)

One idea on venting the tub P-trap is that you might want to try to flat-vent it, although the vertical vent is superior.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet can be wet vented by the tub, assuming that the vent is done is 2".
There are two many changes of direction they way it has been drawn though.
The toilet can be vented within six feet with the tub. Is there a way to pull the tub off of the vertical there?

kimsmaster

Reaction score
The tub and the toilet are less than 6' apart, so if both could be vented with 2" I might be able to place a vent coming off the 3" about where that nasty turn is on the tub waste line and eliminate the turn altogether. The tub deck should allow enough space to get it back to the wall, where it could then go up to tie into the other vents.

I'll draw it up and see if it works.

Both of the vent connections are rotated 45 degrees so they are above the centerline, but I wasn't wild about having them even that flat.

Thanks! Revised plan in the works...

Kim

kimsmaster

Reaction score
This is certainly much simpler! The 2" vent will run entirely under the tub deck. I will have to shift the tub a bit to make room for the connections to the 3" directly from the p-trap, but that is do-able.

New Plumbing Plan B.jpg

Is it time to start cutting pipe and schedule an inspection?

Thanks, Kim

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That vent is completely useless as a tub vent. Go back to your original drawing. Or, use a "Y" in place of the 45 and connect the trap to it, then run the vent out of its "top". opening

kimsmaster

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I guess I completely misunderstood Terry's first post - I was so anxious to get rid of that loop I plowed ahead without thinking it through.

I don't think there is any way to make this all fit with drain side of the tub facing this way. I can flip the tub so that it is facing the other way (the trap will be about 5ft. to the right) and raise the deck by two inches (to 21") so I don't have to drill through the joists. That will give me more room for a 2" vent off of the tub trap arm so it can vent the lav, too. I just need to figure out how to make all the pieces fit.

You guys must be great at puzzles!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Are you listening? Replace the 45 with a "street Y" which will take up about the same space then run the vent from the Y up into the deck and through the wall.

kimsmaster

Reaction score
Thanks HJ...I am listening - I tried replacing the 45 with a wye but I couldn't get everything rotated and lined up with the trap in the same joist bay.

The wye works (I think) if I flip the tub. I don't like the turns in the vent, but that's what it takes to stay in the tub deck. Everything is 2" until the end of the long sweep , then it reduces to 1 1/2" down to the tub trap:

Flipped Tub.jpg

Better?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a reason plumber's go through a lot of training before they get their licenses! It's impossible to summarize in a few posts...it takes experience and training. The pictures in the homeowner's DIY books first, are sometimes just plain wrong, and second do not usually show some of the tricks of the trade. It's really a pleasure watching a pro do this sort of stuff...makes it look so easy! Once in awhile, it is, often, it's not.

kimsmaster

Reaction score
I agree - the good ones are artists. My "regular" plumber was that good, but he died a couple of years ago. I talked to a few before I resorted to doing this myself, and they were NOT so good - two said I didn't need any more vents and that inspections aren't really necessary. The other said "can't be done" and walked out. I knew at least enough not to believe the "no vents" guys.

Thankfully Terry has this forum - don't know what I would have done without it - probably ended up with a disaster. Might still - I haven't actually put it together yet!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks