Been years and years since I've been here... question about some Uponor / Wirsbo PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

SomeOldGuy

Reaction score
I have some Uponor PEX that I bought about 15 years ago (along with all the brass fittings)...
The PEX has been kept in the box, away from any sunlight, but it HAS been in a hot (very very hot) attic for most of those 15 years.

My nervous side says, "No way! Don't use it" and my other side says... "Why not"

What's the thought here?

Thanks,
Pete

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's probably okay, but installing anything with resins that old seems a little worrisome. I would be inclined to pick up some new PEX.
I think I tossed some from my garage the other day just to be sure.
No UV rays though, so it's your call.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I have some Uponor PEX that I bought about 15 years ago (along with all the brass fittings)...
The PEX has been kept in the box, away from any sunlight, but it HAS been in a hot (very very hot) attic for most of those 15 years.

My nervous side says, "No way! Don't use it" and my other side says... "Why not"

What's the thought here?

Thanks,
Pete

One of the things I've always wondered about expansion PEX is whether the initial expansion must be done early in its long lifespan or not at all. Never found an answer.

John

Reach4

Reaction score
If that PEX is colored red or blue, it may be recalled at some point, and if that happens, you might get it swapped out for new.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The heat in the attic couldn't be anywhere close to the rated temperature of the tubing.

If anything, be transparent and sell the tubing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks