Becoming a plumber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
I've been contemplating changing careers. Mostly just the fact that I may be forced to in the future.

I'm fairly interested in getting into a trade. Electrical and Plumbing both attract me for different reasons.

So, in your state, what does it take to be a plumber? How much schooling, years as an apprentice, etc?

What kind of money does an apprentice make these days? I make 40-45K now at my primary job. My understanding is that an apprentice gets paid very little, so how much of a hit would I be taking, and for how long?

I've gotten the idea from some hints here that the first year of apprenticeship you're worked hard. Not a problem for me, as I've shoveled steel chunks for a living. Me and physical work are very familiar.

But I'd figure I'd ask here about what it's like to be a plumber, and what it takes to become one.

Is it what you thought it'd be? How so, or why not?

I'll be asking the same of electricians in the other board.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
In a perfect world

It would only be just one year of hard labor.

Not so.

Consider the beginning to be literally years of the hard work unless you happen to know something I don't.

I've been in attics this week, in a crawl space and a hand *bare hand* digging job a couple weeks ago, thinking I'm 18...and I'm the boss FFS!!

The money is miserable in the beginning and there's no set numbers you start at, no set number you'll be making 20 years from now.

Most if not always it's a game of politics in who you work for and how much you brown nose to get to the top....or at least to lighter duty work.

It's a hard row to hoe in this profession of plumbing but it's very rewarding on a vast number of levels. Most if not all newbies in the profession ask the identical questions you have, wanting monetary numbers and timelines.

It simply does not work in that context. You might work years before you test out for your journeyman's just because you don't feel comfortable yet to take the test.

The masters will be the same, but having the title doesn't mean JACK SQUAT if you don't have the experiences, business know-how to use it effectively to your personal gain.

Unfortunately I know of quite a few master plumbers in my area that have this cozy work situation whereby they don't own their own business but work for someone else, not enjoying the freedoms of running their own company.

And they "still" have the come home with all the problems of a business owner situation because they're getting paid more to compensate the credentials.

Lots of knowledge but prepare your hands for shovels, jackhammers, fecal matter in its natural form.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks