Battling Totos

Users who are viewing this thread

rgmcadoo

Reaction score
Hello all. New to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me.

Three or so years ago I read here about the Toto toilets, purchased and installed my first Drake and have loved it ever since. Recently, the tank cracked on our other toilet, so I did not hesitate and replaced it with a Drake, too.

The two toilets are "back-to-back" and share the same standpipe. The problem is, when either of the toilets is flushed, it pulls water down from the other also. I think the first Toto had this affect on the other older toilet, but it had substantially more water in the bowl so it was not as noticeable. Now, after two or three flushes from one, the other has a practically empty bowl.

Is this a problem with the vent stack not being large enough or something? Is there something easy I can do or add to alleviate this phenomena?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

RG

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you read the instructions that came with the Drake on back to back installation? There is a right way to do it, but I don't remember exactly what the details are.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The plumber who installed the piping did not use the proper fitting for back to back toilets and it wasn't a big deal on the older, slower flushing water hogs. The newer toilets use a siphon jet to get the water moving much faster than the older ones, and you may need to replace it. If you look at the end of the spec sheet, Toto warns of exactly this problem. http://totousa.com/Portals/0/ProductDownloads/SS-00355,%20CST743S,%20V.02.pdf

rgmcadoo

Reaction score
Ok, I am really embarrassed; no, I did not think to check the instructions for that. I will try to find them tomorrow and see what I should have done!
Thanks,
RG

rgmcadoo

Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly it. We have a Tee and not a Wye. What's worse, it actually has another leg which drains the back-to-back showers. This oughta be a fun one!

Thanks!
RG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks