Bathtub water pressure issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Carshowlvr

Reaction score
What I thought was an easy fix had turned into a puzzle. I get plenty of cold water pressure but a trinkle of hot water. I figured it was a simple hot water knob pressure shut off valve. I replaced the old one and yes it was with a small amount of rust in the valve. I checked the water pressure without the valve in and the hot water shoots out of the wall. Once I put the new shut off into the knob and turned on the water. Again there is barely any hot water pressure coming out of the faucett. So it seems something is blocking where the hot and cold water mix. This is a separate two handle hot and cold water faucett. Any ideas?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Bathtub faucets do NOT have aerators, and even if they did it would also affect the cold water pressure and flow. Is this a "roman tub" faucet, or one on the wall?

Reach4

Reaction score
00022067-00001.png
Does this roughly represent what you have, and when you said you removed the hot water knob pressure shut off valve, would you be referring to part #9 -- the stem or cartridge? Or are you referring to something else, in which case, how did the water shoot out of the wall?

Josh M Plumber

Reaction score
What I thought was an easy fix had turned into a puzzle. I get plenty of cold water pressure but a trinkle of hot water. I figured it was a simple hot water knob pressure shut off valve. I replaced the old one and yes it was with a small amount of rust in the valve. I checked the water pressure without the valve in and the hot water shoots out of the wall. Once I put the new shut off into the knob and turned on the water. Again there is barely any hot water pressure coming out of the faucett. So it seems something is blocking where the hot and cold water mix. This is a separate two handle hot and cold water faucett. Any ideas?
It’s not the aerator, if it were you’d have no pressure, hot or cold. It sounds like something is stuck in the faucet. I think you’re describing a wide spread faucet? (Separate hot,cold, spout) ?

Josh M Plumber

Reaction score
It’s not the aerator, if it were you’d have no pressure, hot or cold. It sounds like something is stuck in the faucet. I think you’re describing a wide spread faucet? (Separate hot,cold, spout) ? I’d take it apart at the flexible braided hoses, try to flush them out. I’ll even blow air through them. If you have full pressure from both hot and cold stops then it has to be in the faucet. /QUOTE]

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks