Bathtub waste and p-trap location

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt8619

Reaction score
Does the p-trap need to be directly below the tub waste/overflow? I'd like to go with a left side outlet with a 12" horizontal run (toward the exterior wall) dropping to the p-trap. My goal is to not have a bump out for the p-trap but have it within a drop ceiling with all the other waste and supply lines. I've attached a picture for reference. Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The first issue is that it appears the trap is not properly vented. Where the vent can be installed will determine some of the possibilities when routing the drain.

Reach4

Reaction score
That thing the red arrow points to looks like it could be a trap from an M.C. Escher print. :)

img2.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt8619

Reaction score
The upstairs sink, tub, and toilet all connect and drain and vent (I assume) out the stack which wasn't visible in the original picture. Do I still having venting issues or does this mean now the sink/tub/toilet all having venting issues?

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Have a look at table 906.1 in your plumbing code.

Max distance from trap to vent is 6 feet for 1-1/2" pipe, and 8' for 2" pipe.

Matt8619

Reaction score
Thank you, I looked up the code reference. Pipe is 1 1/2" and the trap to 90 is 6' and the 90 to the vent is another 2'. Either case I'm looking to reduce the current run by 2' so I'd have 4' or 6' depending on how the code dictates the length (still working on figuring that out). That said, I'd like to use a side outlet with a 2' horizontal run that would drop to the trap and reconnect with the existing line. Any flaws to this idea?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Wow, the last time I saw copper waist lines installed was around 1963 when my dad and uncle added a second bathroom to our house. The waste line was a 3" copper and it is still working 50 years later and it has never plugged up. When you rearrange the waste lines, what type of pipe do you plan to use?

Matt8619

Reaction score
Wow, the last time I saw copper waist lines installed was around 1963 when my dad and uncle added a second bathroom to our house. The waste line was a 3" copper and it is still working 50 years later and it has never plugged up. When you rearrange the waste lines, what type of pipe do you plan to use?

The house was built right around 1960. My waste lines are 1 1/2". If my plan is correct, I only intend on moving the trap 2' and keeping all the other lines intact. Otherwise I'd use PVC and end up with a bunch of couplers in a concealed space which I thought was a no-no.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am having trouble envisioning your idea to use a side outlet fitting off the tub waste and overflow. Our plumbing inspector likes to see an accurate plumbing diagram before he grants a permit to move forward with work. This enables everyone to see what fittings are going to be used, and how they will be installed.

Any distance between the tub shoe and the trap WILL be a place for scum and smell to grow at a rapid pace.

In addition there is no problem in using properly listed and labeled transition couplers to connect different types of piping, regardless of whether it is exposed or not.

Matt8619

Reaction score
If you reference the 1st photo, there will be a soffit installed perpendicular and attached to the floating wall. The side outlet would be to the left of the wall, connect to a 45 or 90 to a horizontal run which then would drop to the trap behind the soffit. Sorry if I did a poor job of explaining, I'll try to upload a drawing a bit later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks