Bathtub Spout With No Thread for Shower Head Bathtub Hose Sprayer Attachment

Users who are viewing this thread

Miyamoto31

Reaction score
Hello. I am interested in attaching a shower bathtub hose with sprayer attachment and diverter to my bathtub spout. However, the old style water spout in my bathtub doesn’t have an external or internal screw thread on the end.

I am unfamiliar overall with plumbing so don’t have an immediate understanding on how to best connect a shower head that requires a threaded connection or if it’s even possible. I did have an adjustable metal clamp that attached around a rubber nozzle fitting that secured a sprayer nozzle onto the bathtub spout. This broke and am looking for something more durable.

I've also attached a few pics to include what is behind the plate. As a renter, I won't have the option to remove this piping altogether and wondering if I can utilize what is already in place. I am at a lost and hoping for some kind advice. Thanks so very much for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_5390.jpg
    IMG_5390.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_5385.jpg
    IMG_5385.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5387.jpg
    IMG_5387.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_5392.jpg
    IMG_5392.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 238

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to take that metal plate off and get a picture of inside the wall, as much as that is possible.

Someone may know without that, but I sure can't see how it's connected.

Also, as a renter, I don't think you can even remove part of a fixture like that without written permission.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Amazing what "damages" renters do not thinking they do not own the apartment

Also when adding a hose to a tub spout they now created a condition that is contrary to codes as it can allow back siphonage

The female fitting inside the wall is either 1/2" F IPS or 3/4" FIPS

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
You are prohibited by code from attaching a hose to a tub spout without backflow protection.

"Also when adding a hose to a tub spout they now created a condition that is contrary to codes as it can allow back siphonage"

Thank you for agreeing with me

Reach4

Reaction score

I would like to think they build in backflow prevention.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score

I would like to think they build in backflow prevention.
The hoses have vacuum breakers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all hoses have built in vacuum breakers. There are some universal, in-line ones that can easily be installed. Here's one.

Attachments

• vacuumbreaker.jpg
    vacuumbreaker.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 175

Miyamoto31

Reaction score
All - Thanks very much for the input. I've decided against pursueing this project after review. I appreciate all the professional insight.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
All of the comments about back flow are immaterial, because you would have to find the proprietary spout from THAT manufacturer since it is NOT generic. I believe, if you could find one, it would not do what you hope for it, since it would be a diverter spout for a different valve body.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks