Bathtub Spout Broke off & Need Help Please...

Users who are viewing this thread

MarineDad

Reaction score
Ok Gents, I'm going to be frank with you all. I have no idea what to call anything regarding plumbing or parts, so I have pictures just Incase.

My bathtub broke when I pushed the water diverter (I think). The pipe that sticks out from the wall to the faucet is hard plastic and it's screwed into the 90° joint that is metal and the other end screws into the faucet. Both ends have this white thin tape. This faucet has been there since 2011 with no problems. I tried to remove the small broken plastic piece on the wall, but I can't. I've used the tools, 1. Husky Nipple Extractor Set, 2. T- handle Faucet Wrench, 3. Husky Internal Pipe Wrench Set, 4. Husky Shower Valve Socket Wrench and none worked. The plastic broken piece is to hard and locked into place and won't budge at all. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. Please help. Thank you for your time reading this and responding if at all possible.

Semper Fi,

Marine Dad

IMG_20221205_224014~2.jpg
IMG_20221205_224108.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221205_223933.jpg
    IMG_20221205_223933.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20221205_212259~3.jpg
    IMG_20221205_212259~3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20221205_223957.jpg
    IMG_20221205_223957.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20221205_224220~2.jpg
    IMG_20221205_224220~2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, a steel, galvanized metal nipple (the short pipe from the fitting in the wall to the tub spout) should never be used as it rusts as you found out. They use them because they're cheaper, but they don't last forever. Brass should last beyond your lifetime.

The fitting at the wall (the drop ear el) has the remains of the steel fitting stuck in it. There are a couple of ways to try to remove that so you can thread in a new piece:
- if there's an edge, you might be able to use something like a metal chisel to catch the edge and rotate out the bit stuck in there - it would need to turn CCW
- if there's nothing to catch an edge on, you can try an inside pipe wrench https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Tools-2-Inch-Internal-Wrench/dp/B000AO1IOI there are other types, and places you can find them

Once you have that out, you'll need a new spout and probably a new nipple...get a brass nipple. You will need to measure the distance from the face of the finished wall and the specs of the spout you choose the right length nipple to ensure you can tighten the new spout do it points down, and gets tight and is tight to the wall.

If you can solder, you could solder a male threaded fitting to a short piece of pipe and use a slip-on spout. It seals with O-rings, and gets locked in place with a setscrew. That can be easier to use as the nipple length then doesn't need to be what may be a weird size you can't find. On that, you won't know until you measure, though.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Call a professional as the solder joint looks like lead by the discoloration

When galvanized is mixed with non ferrous metals such as brass or copper it causes electrolytic action and galvanic corrosion

Best bet is to have the tee removed and replaced with lead free solder

The previous person should have protected the wood in the back to prevent a fire possibly starting

MarineDad

Reaction score
First off, a steel, galvanized metal nipple (the short pipe from the fitting in the wall to the tub spout) should never be used as it rusts as you found out. They use them because they're cheaper, but they don't last forever. Brass should last beyond your lifetime.

The fitting at the wall (the drop ear el) has the remains of the steel fitting stuck in it. There are a couple of ways to try to remove that so you can thread in a new piece:
- if there's an edge, you might be able to use something like a metal chisel to catch the edge and rotate out the bit stuck in there - it would need to turn CCW
- if there's nothing to catch an edge on, you can try an inside pipe wrench https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Tools-2-Inch-Internal-Wrench/dp/B000AO1IOI there are other types, and places you can find them

Once you have that out, you'll need a new spout and probably a new nipple...get a brass nipple. You will need to measure the distance from the face of the finished wall and the specs of the spout you choose the right length nipple to ensure you can tighten the new spout do it points down, and gets tight and is tight to the wall.

If you can solder, you could solder a male threaded fitting to a short piece of pipe and use a slip-on spout. It seals with O-rings, and gets locked in place with a setscrew. That can be easier to use as the nipple length then doesn't need to be what may be a weird size you can't find. On that, you won't know until you measure, though.
Than you very much for your expertise. I really do appreciate that you took the time to read my post and decided to respond. Again, thank you Jadnashua.

— MarineDad

MarineDad

Reaction score
Call a professional as the solder joint looks like lead by the discoloration

When galvanized is mixed with non ferrous metals such as brass or copper it causes electrolytic action and galvanic corrosion

Best bet is to have the tee removed and replaced with lead free solder

The previous person should have protected the wood in the back to prevent a fire possibly starting
Sylvan,
Than you for you time reading my post and responding. I'm a firm believer that (TIME ⌚) is one of our most valuable commodities, along with our word.

So, I appreciate you devoting some of your time in helping me. I hope you have a great day Sylvan.

— MarineDad

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is that plastic inside the threads of the drop ear?
I would remove the rest of the nipple (plastic) there, and use a new brass nipple and new tub spout.
An easy-out might help to remove that.

pipe_extractor.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Is that plastic inside the threads of the drop ear?
I would remove the rest of the nipple (plastic) there, and use a new brass nipple and new tub spout.
An easy-out might help to remove that.

pipe_extractor.jpg
If someone does not have an extractor (EZ out) they can use the back of a file

A lot of times when a shower arm threads break off the EZ out will not work because it hits the back or the drop ear ellso the file works wonders in these conditions

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Craziest thing happened Thursday.

I decided to take a drive and ended up by West point military academy

I met the guard and was told to go to the visitors building. As I walked in I was given strange looks and made my way up to the security desk and I was told " Your type is not wanted here"

I stood there for a minute speechless and then several guys busted out laughing and one said thank you for your service.

I had no idea this week is Army versus Navy football game and here I am wearing my USN cap walking around the base

The commissary was even worse as a lady said why are you looking for a old fashioned can of ass whip and she started laughing . I was given a pass good for 3 years and met some really great people including a E -9 sgt who asked if I need help. .

People should visit military bases and just say hello and said thank you for your service

My car also had a paper placed behind the wiper saying "Typical sailor lost" with a happy face drawn on iot . All in good fun as my plate says "USN Disabled vet"

This picture was taken in 1968 as my shipmates woke me up around 2 AM to have a drink for my 18 birthday as I was not old enough to drink in a bar in the USA

Attachments

• 18BD.jpg
    18BD.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 88

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that is plastic you should be able to cut it into strips with a small blade such is found on a coping saw. Once the plastic nipple is cut into strips you should be able to peel them out with a tiny screw driver being careful not to damage the brass threads.

Other than that I've used the appropriate sized ridgid brand nipple extractor. Those will pound onto the pipe and not expand it. The problem with an easy out at times is it can expand what your trying to extract and make it tougher it retrieve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks