Bathtub rough-in, 8" centers with offset spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Gallo Machisimo

Reaction score
Hello good people! I hope you're all doing well.

So after you guys helped me to get my Case 3000 toilet issues fixed, I'm hoping you can help me with my next vintage plumbing issue. I'm in the process of having a new shower stall put in my master bathroom. That has sent us down a rabbit hole, as these projects are apt to do. Well, since we're getting solid surface for the shower, we might as well do the vanity top... so we might as well do the faucet... and we might as well do the bathtub faucet so they all match...
The shower and tub are separate. The shower is only a shower, and the tub is just a tub, so neither has a diverter. When my carpenter tore out the shower stall, it was a bear. I'm not sure if they were worried about Russian bomb attacks in the mid-60's and wanted to use the shower as shelter; the walls were expanded diamond mesh, with 1" to 1-1/2" of cement, and 4" tiles. What he took to the dump was well over a ton. The tile around the bathtub is pristine, so given that and the amount of work and cost in demoing the shower, I'd rather not tear it out if I can help it. The plan is to cut a hole from behind it to allow access from the back.
I had found Delta components that I liked, but their rough in valve (R3500-WL) has the spout coming out on the center line between the handles. On mine, the tub spout is set well below. I think something like the Kohler K-302-K-NA would work, or the Pfister 07-31XA, since each appears to allow it to be piped up and/or down from the center of the rough in. But reading opinions on the Kohler mix valves on here (pretty, but not great quality) has me less than excited.
So am I analyzing this correctly as far as the type of rough-in I'd need? Am I overthinking it, and I just need an elbow to send the water downward? Do you have a recommendation for a quality brand with a rough-in that work work for my layout? Do you know of a secondary market for Sherle Wagner Ribbon and Reed fixtures in need of a re-gilding? :D Thanks in advance for your help. You guys rock.

Attachments

• sherle wagner tub.jpg
    sherle wagner tub.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Delta R3500-WL is a lavatory rough valve and may not give the water volume you expect. For the Sherle Wagner fittings they do offer refinishing on their products. Try calling them at 1-212-3300 to find the representative for your area.

https://www.sherlewagner.com/pages/custom-work

A secondary refinisher is Auburn International. Their number is 1-800-537-7239.

http://www.auburnbathintl.com/

Gallo Machisimo

Reaction score
I found a place here in Indiana that would re-plate it for $240, which I didn't think was terrible. I called Sherle Wagner yesterday, and they said that while they do make a lot of faucets that look the same as the vintage ones, the cartridges were different and not interchangeable. He said they get questions about these mid-60's ones regularly, often from people that purchased them second hand thinking it was a deal, and then wind up unable to use them. So his advice was while it was possible to refinish the fixtures through them and others, that generally it was not worth it to do so.

That R3500-WL must pull dual duty. I had been looking at the Delta Stryke tub filler, and that is the valve that it calls for. Thanks for making sure I didn't undersize it, though. I wouldn't want to be waiting 90 minutes to fill my tub!

Attachments

• delta stryke tub filler.JPG
    delta stryke tub filler.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 168
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks