Bathtub Replacement -- Go with Corner Tub or 54" Tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

lisa777777

Reaction score
We are gutting and replacing all fixtures in our small (8 ft x 8 ft) 1940 bathroom. Currently have a corner cast iron tub finished on 2 sides. Can't find a replacement that is finished on 2 sides (we want cast iron or enamel on steel). Are there such things that are standard tub side (i.e., not corner whirlpools?).

Of course, this wouldn't be an issue if we put in a 54" tub, thus giving us room for a wall on the right side of the tub and room for the toilet next to it. Is it really bad to use a 54" tub? This will be used almost exclusively for showers anyway . . . .

THANKS -- and HELP!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe a drawing showing the room with current plumbing, windows, and door(s) would help. With 8', you could squeeze in a 60" tub, a dividing wall, and the toilet (needs a minimum of 30" to meet code - 15" each side), but it would be tight. A 54" tub would force you into few choices, and unless used by a small child, woulndn't be very comfortable. Some people really want a bathtub, so it's not bad to have at least one in a house. If there's one in another bathroom, you may be able to maintain sales interest when the time comes if this room just had a shower.

lisa777777

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to attach a photo or drawing -- doesn't seem to be working. Regardless, trying to not move bath and toilet which are side-by-side. Current space for toilet is 31" to existing corner bath. If put in a wall, that takes 4". Now only have 27" for toilet -- not enough, I think! May need to go with a narrower toilet, but even that might not fit in this space!

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
8'x8' isn't small, you should have plenty of room to work with. Why not just put in a 48" shower pan? Bathtubs are more or less obsolete for most people these days, and most people just put in a bathtub because it's all that they know and are used to.

I was stuck using 4' bathtubs in Japan for months...I am 6', and it sucked! On my last night in a fancy hotel in Tokyo, I had a full sized bathroom with a full sized bathtub....it was awsome! Moral of the story...don't go less than a 5' bathtub!!!!!!

I have seen acrylic tubs that replace those corner cast iron models, I'll see if I can find a link. You can bet that they will be expensive though.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I found a couple of different 2-sided rounded corner bathtubs; Americh makes a model called "bow" which should be what you are looking for. But at those prices, you are better off refinishing yours, or finding a salvage unit and refinishing it!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would say that the method of use of tubs is different in Japan than in the US. A bath is something you sit in, maybe someone washes your back, etc. In the US, if you look at the ads, we prefer someplace to lay back, lounge in, etc! A four footer, or even 54 inch, doesn't cut it!

I personally haven't taken a bath in ??? 30 years??? My wife also does not. When we redo the bathroom, we will probably just put in a drive-in shower stall. You do have to give some thought to resale value of the house, because at this point, tubs, especially whirlpools, are perceived as an upscale necessity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks