Is it ok for tub p trap be offset by about 12 inches

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Nan Watson

Reaction score
new bathtub, contractor moved the tub down about a foot but left the existing p trap in its original position which means the drop down drain from the overflow and tub drain goes in a right angle then to the trap. Plumber states this is perfectly acceptable but everything I have read says the trap should be below the drain otherwise snaking it will be impossible. Can anyone tell me if my plumber is right?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ideally, the p-trap is closer. Pipes can tend to accumulate crud, and anything above the p-trap can start to smell. Don't know if that offset is okay, but probably is. Difference between ideal and acceptable, though.

Nan Watson

Reaction score
Ideally, the p-trap is closer. Pipes can tend to accumulate crud, and anything above the p-trap can start to smell. Don't know if that offset is okay, but probably is. Difference between ideal and acceptable, though.
Thanks Jim, I have been trying to find something in the code that clarifies this but nothing there so I suspect it is ok. From what I gather the code is minimal requirements so my plumber was just to lazy to do the job the better way.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a specification for maximum vertical drop before the trap, but I do not know if there is one for horizontal offset.

Nan Watson

Reaction score
There is a specification for maximum vertical drop before the trap, but I do not know if there is one for horizontal offset.
image.jpeg

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
It is not a plumbing code violation. The street 90 is not an approved long sweep fitting in the bottom of the tee. Two street 45's would make a long sweep. (Vertical to horizontal change if direction.) However, the street 90 will work fine.

It would be interesting to see the rest of the piping. The trap, the trap arm and the vent connection.

The code is minimum standards.

Nan Watson

Reaction score
It is not a plumbing code violation. The street 90 is not an approved long sweep fitting in the bottom of the tee. Two street 45's would make a long sweep. (Vertical to horizontal change if direction.) However, the street 90 will work fine.

It would be interesting to see the rest of the piping. The trap, the trap arm and the vent connection.

The code is minimum standards.

Nan Watson

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. My concern with the way he has configured this is if the trap gets clogged there will be no way to snake it because of the angles. The tub faucet is very loose so that hasn't been done correctly either which is making me very nervous about the rest of the piping. The reason the wall is open behind the tub is he was trying to find out why the tub makes a loud noise when stepped into. My understanding after all this research is he should have set the tub in a mortar bed. Me thinks this is the first bathtub he has installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks