Bathtub Mortar - Should I be worried?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYScientist

Reaction score
I installed a HydroSystems Kona 60x42x15 alcove style tub yesterday. This is my first big remodel. I will give a brief run down on how I installed the tub and the reasons I did so and then get on to my question. When installing the tub, I had to slide it into the alcove area rather than dropping in. The width of the space was 60.5" which is the exact width of the tub. I had to shave down the studs to allow the tub to be pushed into the alcove. I am using the existing plumbing( i will be changing the cartridge, need to find a 30 year old Moen volume and temperature control style cartridge) so I was limited in allowing the tub to be dropped in. I installed 2x4 ledger boards around the edge of the tub as specified by the manufacturer and also used a ton of liquid nails as well, also specified by the manufacturer.

When placing the mortar bed, I used the "piles" method as described in these forums. Since I had to slide the tub in I had higher piles toward the tub curtain, so that they would level out. I did the "knock test" to determine how well the tub base is supported. Toward the drain sounds completely solid from curtain side to the back, however halfway to the back of the tub (opposite of drain side) it doesn't sound as solid, but doesn't sound hollow either.

I have access towards the rear of the tub through a half wall/knee wall where the shower is. Should I mix up some more mortar and try to pack some more underneath or am i being too much of a perfectionist?

(as an aside, you may be wondering how I am constructing the shower. I decide on durock/red guard for the tile substrate. I also over engineered the infrastructure i.e. more nailing studs and stud bracing.)

Reach4

Reaction score
If it is not as solid as you like, and you can access it, why not add mortar?

If you can, maybe put blobs of mortar into plastic bags, and shove. Mortar does not need air to harden. In fact, it is better if the mortar hardens before drying.

On second thought, how about mixing the mortar in the bag? Add mortar mix, and kneed in water to give a stiff mix.

If you do it, take pictures. Post any you think will be informative to others.

My comments are not based on experience.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks