Bathtub isn’t level, water pooling by wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Catherine1997

Reaction score
Last year we had our bathroom remodeled, the bathtub was not installed level (lots of problems with the work by the people we hired). Is there anything we can do to stop the water from pooling in the corner against the wall? It’s a corner tub and the corner is the lowest point of the top of the bath. We’ve had mold issues ever since the remodel.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The solution would be to raise the area where the water pools up, in other words to level the tub, so that water will drain down.

But how to do it?

I'm afraid that removing the tub and reinstalling it, is what has to be done.
I would remove the lowest course of tiles, disconnect the drain, free the tub, re position and level the supporting 2x4 ledger, place the tub back...and finish the job by reconnecting the drain and re tiling.

Let's see if anyone else has a better idea.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on access, if you can get to that corner under the tub, then remove, or cut the tile next to the tub, jack the corner up level, place "legs" under the tub's edge, then recaulk or replace the tile.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There was a remodel contractor posting on here that the correct way was to lean the tub toward the wall so that the water didn't wind up on the floor.
He thought leaning the tub to drain outward toward the open floor side was wrong.
There are two thoughts on this, and both have reasons to be correct, and reasons to be wrong.
I've always put a slight tilt on the tub so that the water went away from the wall, but I can see the logic of not doing that too. Either way, the water is going somewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks