Bathtub installation

Users who are viewing this thread

TroyS

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a bathtub in my basement. The basement has already been stubbed out for a full bathroom.

So I bought a tub and a drain kit and attached the drain kit to the tub.
At this point I'm trying to figure out the exact location the tub will go, based on the drain. This will tell me where exactly I need to frame the opposite wall.

I'm stuck on a couple things - first thing is how far down to cut the stub out pipe, I attached a picture here and I clearly need to cut it down more, but I'm somewhat scared to do that until I know that's what I should be doing. Also even if I cut it flush with the floor, I'm not sure there's enough room for the drain kit to not be resting on the concrete, if that makes sense.

I've looked through the threads and watched some videos online but I'm really only seeing examples where they have access to the floor underneath.

I'm sure it must be a common thing to add a tub to an already-roughed in drain, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• Bathtub Drain.jpg
    Bathtub Drain.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 220

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Is there a p-trap under that pipe? if so make sure the drain and overflow is completely hooked up to the tub. take about a 1/2" off the pipe
going through the floor for starters. put the tub drain back in the pipe that's in the floor, hold a 2" x 1-1/2" trap adapter next to the pipe where it will go on the tub drain, make a mark on the pipe coming out of the floor where the trap adapter will be inserted on the pipe and glued, cut pipe, glue the trap adapter on the pipe, set the tub.

TroyS

Reaction score
Yes there is standing water in the pipe so I believe there is a trap there.

I will get a 2" x 1-1/2" trap adapter, I'll see what I can find. So far I've only found 1-1/2" x 1-1/4" trap adapters. I'll keep looking.

I believe even if I get the pipe on the floor cut more, the horizontal pipe from the tub drain sticks down slightly further than the feet of the tub, so I'm concerned the weight of the tub will be resting on that horizontal piece. I'll see what I get after cutting the waste pipe down more.

Stuff

Reaction score
Check to see the specs of your tub. Most are designed to have the floor cut to handle the drain. Some are higher and don't need the cut-out.

TroyS

Reaction score
Check to see the specs of your tub. Most are designed to have the floor cut to handle the drain. Some are higher and don't need the cut-out.

I went through the instruction manual again and I did find a sentence hidden in there "Subfloor opening, sized to allow clearance for drain assembly"
So I guess I do need to cut into the concrete floor.

Thanks for the help, I've read the instructions 10 times and didn't see that sentence :)

TroyS

Reaction score
Thanks all, I was able to cut through the concrete and get the tub attached. Also found the trap while I was digging.

Bathtub.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks