bathtub gurgles

Users who are viewing this thread

jmarsh

Reaction score
on occassion, the bathtub gurgles when I flush the toilet. And then on fewer occassions a sewer odor eminates from the tub right after it gurgles. The vent pipe is 2" diameter and sticks out the roof top by about 1 foot. Do I need a bigger and/or taller vent pipe? Could there be a bad joint somewhere? And once in the summer on a hot humid day there was a bad odor in the adjacent bedoom but NOT in the bathroom (go figure). Other upstairs bath has no problem at all. Will an air admittance valve help if used as a supplemental vent?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Not knowing how the drainage lines are piped, I can only guess at the possible problems...
Might be a clogged vent - If you are in an area where you have had very cold weather, your fist thing might be to check to see if the frost buildup on the vent has frozen it shut...
If the problem has just started recently (witht he cold), this might be all the problem is...
If it is, ou can have the vent up-sized during the summer to 3 or 4" to prevent this problem in the future....

R

Rancher

When was the last time you used the bathtub, the traps do go dry if not used regularly.

Rancher

jmarsh

Reaction score
I use the tub every day. I might also ad that I inserted an insulatetd charcoal filter in the vent pipe in the attic. I figured that if freeze up was a problem this would take care of that (entire 7" of vent pipe in attic now insuated). And of course the charcoal would take care of any odors that might occur for whatever reason. But now it gurgles evey time I flush the toilet having waste. If now waste then it usually does not gurgle.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds to me that the trap arm is not vented or that the vent is blocked.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For the vent to work, it needs free exchange of air. Hopefully, that filter doesn't restrict airflow otherwise, it's adding to your problems.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
jmarsh said:
I might also ad that I inserted an insulatetd charcoal filter in the vent pipe in the attic. But now it gurgles evey time I flush the toilet having waste. If now waste then it usually does not gurgle.

Well - seems like you just answered your own question then...
Remove the filter - it is blocking the vent...

Racer814

Reaction score
why did you install a filter on the vent line?.......is it terminating near an deck or window?.....or worse yet, in the attic

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
jmarsh, may be your too hung up on the vent and should be more concerned with the drain. Might want want to clean the tub drain all the way to the main section of the sewer.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You might come up with some kind of filter to go around the vent pipe but do not put anything down in it. Think about a vehicle's engine...they don't put filters down the throats of carbureators for the very same reason.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks