Bathtub flooded my room

Users who are viewing this thread

NurseDoe

Reaction score
The saga continues. The bathtub finally installed. The tilers finished the walls b/c between the two jobs, I just could never get it done. I have been showering for several weeks, very happy for the hot water.
Today, I decided to take a bath. While in the tub, I noticed the water kept going away and at first thought it was because the drain may not be tight enough and water was leaking out. Then I stepped out into a flood! The water I think is coming from UNDER the tub, not near the drains or overflow, those areas are dry. I hadn't put the last row of small floor tiles back in thank goodness.

The tub is on a concrete slab. The plumbing done by "professionals", at least the part under the tub. My daughter in law did the just the shower fixtures. I am loathe to pull the tub out AGAIN!. Remember that the plumbing professionals dented the first one didn't put the stringer in properly, left bare dirt under the tub not to mention the huge mess!

Any ideas why it did n't leak when showering and why seemed like all the bathtub water came up after the bath?

Is this going to involve ruining my tile tub surround? Any magic spells to prevent me pulling the whole thing out again???????:mad::confused:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since a bathtub is a solid piece of steel or cast iron, the water can only be leaking out the overflow or around the drain.

Have the plumbers come back and inspect those.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you shower, because the water doesn't build up any depth (normally), there isn't much pressure. When the tub is full, it could leak out places where it normally wouldn't with only the shower running.

Depending on how the drain is attached, it may only need a slight tightening. Some can be done from the top, but others would need access to underneath.

I had a similar situation on mine, and all it took was a socket wrench to tighten the hollow bolt from the top which held the drain together.

NurseDoe

Reaction score
Hurray!!!!!

Whew! You were right! We looked underneath and found it was coming from the bathtub drain itself! Just tightened it a zillion turns and ta-da! I guess the weight from the water coupled with mine must have caused something to leak. Now, think, I missed out on a Christmas party b/c I was so worried over what is turning out to be nothing.
But still doing a happy dance!! Thanks. I was even afraid to look under there. :D

NurseDoe

Reaction score
Spoke too soon.

Well, when I let the water run for a long time, it still leaks, but not as much. I have tightened the bathtub drain as tight as I dare and there is still leaking but to a much lesser degree. When I stick my hand under there, it feels like it is coming from the tub drain where it joins the drain that goes under the cement. I think I might have to take the tub drain all the way out to see where the problem is. My new concern is that if the tub is seated properly on the stringer, it shouldn't be moving with water weight should it? It is very dark under there, so it will wait until morning. But I am optimistic this time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Contrary to what it may look like, the ledger boards can't support the weight of the tub...they are only to keep the edges from moving, not the bottom. Did they set the tub in mortar or something to support it well? Is the bottom of the tub on the floor or sitting above it. If it is above it, you need to support it. It's easier to do when you set it in place, but depending on access, you might be able to solve it now.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm all for DIY'ing. But if you paid a plumber good money to do this plumbing, you should get him back pronto to fix this.

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know if you remember the movie, The Money Pit, but, I do, lol, I would get that tub supported well. I wonder if the Shirk brothers are busy, it only takes "2 weeks."

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Just tightened it a zillion turns ...

... it still leaks, but not as much. I have tightened the bathtub drain as tight as I dare and there is still leaking but to a much lesser degree. When I stick my hand under there, it feels like it is coming from the tub drain where it joins the drain that goes under the cement.

It sounds to me like the installer forgot to tighten the drain basket in the first place, so now it might need to be unscrewed all the way out so some sealer can be added where it meets the floor of the tub ... and maybe the installer also forgot to glue/cement/weld some parts together farther below.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks