Bathtub Faucet Replacement Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Trends

Reaction score
In our kids bathroom we have some "apartment grade" faucets and fixtures that I have been replacing, they are about 10 years old and are delta products. The bathtub faucet was a pull down (at the spout) system to turn the shower on. When you pulled down the piece, the shower would come on and when you turn the water off, the piece would retract. I basically rotated this by hand to remove it. When I looked at the faucet inside it has a long plastic threaded sleeve.

The pipe from the wall sticks out about 2 1/2 inches and has a (I think it is a fitting) piece over it that has threads on the front for the faucet. It looks like something that basically goes over the pipe to fit this old faucet. I'm not a plumber so I'm not 100% if it is welded or not.

My new Delta product I purchased (models 144913, faucet pn#RP48718) has a totaly different set up with an allen wrench screw underneath to tighten the faucet to the pipe. There are no threaded sections on the new faucet. It simply looks like you insert the pipe from the wall into it and tighten it down with an allen wrench.

I am wondering, does that fitting or (whatever it is) piece over the pipe from the wall remove? If so, is that something that unscrewes? I tried to give a little pressure with pliers but it didn't budge and I didn't want to break the pipes. Any suggestions?

Thanks. Jeff

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you referring to the tub spout?

If, after removing the old one, there is a threaded fitting, it is almost certainly soldered on. To get it off, you'll need a torch and a pair of pliers. Get it hot enough to melt the solder and twist a little while pulling it off with the pliers. Take a dry rag while the solder is still molten and wipe it clean, and it will probably be clean enough to allow the push on spout to seal properly.

The instructions should say how long of a piece of pipe needs to stick out of the wall to make the connection with the new spout. If there is enough pipe sticking out, you could probably just cut the fitting off. It is possible that even with removing the threaded fitting, the stub will be too short.

You have an alternative in that you could replace the spout that came in the kit with a screw-on version. Maybe one of the plumbers knows what might fit, but that's sometimes hard withoout seeing the old one.

Trends

Reaction score
Thanks Jim

Jim,

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That is a delta spout and that threaded part is snug up against the wall if it is
plastic it will have an allen scerw on it in the fitting close to the tub if it brass
may have to do as Jad said.

Trends

Reaction score
got her done!

The tortche did the trick and it came off without a hitche. Thank you for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks