Bathtub drain leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Duongz

Reaction score
I have a leak at the elbow of the drain. I think its the limescale/calcium bluish greenish buildup that's causing the problem but I'm not sure. I cleaned up it up the best I can. its hard to reach, I would have to cut some drywall in the basement to fully access it. the tub is upstairs.

i made the mistake of putting water weld around it but that didn't work. if i were to cut the drywall, would i be able to remove the wastepipe/tail piece from the elbow to clean it or is that permanently attached. option 2 would be to replace the tailpiece and elbow with PVC which doesn't build up and leak that much I heard. is there any option where I don't have to cut the drywall

I was also wondering if me using bleach to kill tub mold could cause the leak, I flush with water afterwards. I heard its ok as long u das u dilute. do these leaks just occur with age

IMG_20220423_213516(1).jpg
IMG_20220425_015153(1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The brass pipe threads into the shoe of the drain. Putting something on the outside is unlikely to work as a repair.
Most of the time, we replace the entire drain. Or you could try to remove and disassemble it, and then wrap some tape on the threads and try again.

tub-drain-leak-06.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks