Bathtub drain brass assembly

Users who are viewing this thread

ron hartman

Reaction score
mobile home.......looks like the tub drain assembly has been replaced at one time as there is a hole in the sub floor that wasn't covered up. The drain assembly is brass.. the p trap is plastic...my wife wants the flange and the overflow plate to be brushed nickel... there are no leaks...looking at the shoe from under the home, it looks connected to the fiberglass hole real tight, and i cannot see a rubber gasket there. so i am thinking when i remove the tub flange from above , there won't be enough room to fit in a rubber gasket unless i can get some room between the shoe and the bottom of the tub. If so, how about if i loosen the two screws of the overflow plate just a little bit to see if the shoe then has room for a gasket. i don't want to loosen the screws too much beecause the the plastic p trap would have too much pressure on it to hold up the brass assembly. thanks much !!

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
mobile home.......looks like the tub drain assembly has been replaced at one time as there is a hole in the sub floor that wasn't covered up. The drain assembly is brass.. the p trap is plastic...my wife wants the flange and the overflow plate to be brushed nickel... there are no leaks...looking at the shoe from under the home, it looks connected to the fiberglass hole real tight, and i cannot see a rubber gasket there. so i am thinking when i remove the tub flange from above , there won't be enough room to fit in a rubber gasket unless i can get some room between the shoe and the bottom of the tub. If so, how about if i loosen the two screws of the overflow plate just a little bit to see if the shoe then has room for a gasket. i don't want to loosen the screws too much beecause the the plastic p trap would have too much pressure on it to hold up the brass assembly. thanks much !!

I am not a plumber or pro. I would be hesitant to mess with the tub flange, unless there is a problem. I would just change the overflow plate (much more noticable) and call it a day. There is usually supposed to be a gasket between the top of the shoe and the bottom of the tub and it not being there will cause a leak once the putty or silicone under the drain flange fails ... that being said, if it just going to leak on the ground under the home, I might not mess with it. Be interesting to see what the pros say.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can loosen the upper screws on the overflow to allow a bit more movement.
The rubber seal between the tub and the shoe make the seal, not the putty.

tub-drain-leak-06.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks