Bathtub Diverter Spout too far from wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Pacman45

Reaction score
I replaced an old bathtub diverter spout (push-on type). The problem is the 2" pipe protruding from the wall is not anchored very well so when I push the spout on, the friction of the fitting pushes the pipe back into the wall somewhat, so that no matter what I do, when I let go of the spout, the pipe "rebounds" back and there is a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the back of the spout and the wall. I'm worried that water will get behind the wall when I take a shower. Should I caulk this gap?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would check the other side of the wall. Some will already have an access panel, inside a linen closet, to allow access to the back end of that pipe.

There are also different spouts that are not push-on. A screw-on spout might let you put a little tension on the pipe.

Is the pipe copper? Some really nice spouts have a solder-on adapter that you screw a spout onto.

Last edited:

Pacman45

Reaction score
I would check the other side of the wall. Some will already have an access panel, inside a linen closet, to allow access to the back end of that pipe.

There are also different spouts that are not push-on. A screw-on spout might let you put a little tension on the pipe.

Is the pipe copper? Some really nice spouts have a solder-on adapter that you screw a spout onto.

The pipe is copper. There is a closet on the other side of the wall, but no access panel. Is there any kind of fitting that can go around the pipe and then expand in the tile opening to lock the pipe in place? That would do it.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could put in an access panel. Not necessarily hard or expensive. You could fix the pipe in place, or you could apply a hand temporarily while somebody pushes on your spout.
whites-access-panels-aps8-64_145.jpg\

For a system similar to what you describe, how about a short piece of cpvc 3/4 inch pipe or other tube that pushes against the wall, and a nylon tie wrap to hold it from letting the pipe slip back toward the wall. Or maybe a long rubber band with a lot of wraps. Or maybe electrical tape.

Pacman45

Reaction score
You could put in an access panel. Not necessarily hard or expensive. You could fix the pipe in place, or you could apply a hand temporarily while somebody pushes on your spout.
whites-access-panels-aps8-64_145.jpg\

For a system similar to what you describe, how about a short piece of cpvc 3/4 inch pipe or other tube that pushes against the wall, and a nylon tie wrap to hold it from letting the pipe slip back toward the wall. Or maybe a long rubber band with a lot of wraps. Or maybe electrical tape.

Are you being sarcastic?

Pacman45

Reaction score
I understand your post now. I mistakenly took your rubber band suggestion to be a permanent fix, but I see you meant it as an installation suggestion. I get it.

When I removed the spout, the inner plastic sleeve and o-ring remained on the pipe. I used a wrench to slide this piece back on the pipe while holding the pipe. I then slid the spout back over the sleeve and o-ring and tightened the set screw. It is now very close to the wall--close enough to use caulk without looking silly. The problem is when I run the shower, water leaks out the back of the spout from the set screw access cutout. I think I may have marred the plastic sleeve or o-ring when I was manipulating it. Ugh!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks