Bathtub Design Opinions Sought

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerry Grant

Reaction score
Hi,

First time posting here. Looking around, this seems like the ideal group of people to help me with my problem.

We recently purchased a home with a beautiful custom stone tile shower with separate bath. See photos. The "tub' is large - 58 x 30" - and rather deep and is causing the following problems:
  1. It's stone tile and not comfortable to sit in.
  2. It's drains the water heater before it sufficiently fills.
  3. The user has to climb over the 28" wall to enter and exit. We are in our 60's and beginning to find this challenging.
Things we've thought of:
  1. Bath pillows, pads or mattress for comfort. There seems to be some decent options but nothing we've found is large enough to solve the water heater issue.
  2. Dropping a smaller claw-foot tub into the tub space. We found some that would fit, but cleaning the tile under the freestanding tub would be impossible.
  3. Take out, or severely lower, the dividing wall and put in a freestanding tub. This would solve the cleaning issue but the work to remove the wall could range from simple to expensive depending on what lies underneath. Plumbing maybe? Some insulation or other? Not sure.
  4. Inserting an inflatable pool into the hole. This works and it's what we are doing now. But its not a permanent solution and keeping it clean is a huge chore.
Since we just got the place, I'm hoping to avoid a major remodel.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!

-jerry

20210221_143411.jpeg
20210221_143328.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
WOW! that looks amazing.. but yeah.. thats a jungle gym workout and super dangerous. I would be bracing for a major remodel.

My first thought on comfort was placing a folding teak lounge chair. Something dense enough that its not going to float in a tub full of water. Something comfortable to sit on. Something foldable that gets easily out of the way for cleaning that you don't need to remove from the tub while you're doing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks