Bathtub 3 Handle Diverter Sprays Water

Users who are viewing this thread

TheMoth

Reaction score
We have a bathtub from 1950 with a three handle faucet. Whenever we switch the center handle (diverter) to the shower setting, water sprays out of the handle stem itself (as well as out of the shower head). I'd like to get advice if this is something that a plumbing novice can repair. I've watched a couple videos, and I was thinking this might involve replacing the shower valve diverter stem. I'm also trying to identify the faucet handles, to figure out what part I might need, and whether I would need to order a part in advance.

I would much appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• DSC01190.JPG
    DSC01190.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC01191.JPG
    DSC01191.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 243

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That looks like what was in the house when I grew up...tossed that long ago!

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can buy a new stem for that. If the seat is worn, it might not work. If you're really lucky, you might just be able to replace the O-rings and gasket. You'd need someone to help you identify exactly what you have, and at over 60-years old, you might not find any easily available kits or a new stem. One of the pros will probably know for sure on that. Often, the best solution is to remove the stem and take it to a good local plumbing store.

The alternatives include tearing it out and installing a more modern valve, but it would be really close. That generally requires the use of a remodel plate, and I'm not sure that you have enough room between it and the tub spout - probably not. If that wouldn't work, if the new stem doesn't help, you might be able to cobble things up so that it doesn't leak, but then change the tub spout to one with a built-in diverter. If you had access from behind, you might be able to replace the diverter. Anything else I can think of would mean a bigger tear out, and remodel.

Note, depending on the extent of changes, it may trigger the requirement to update to the latest plumbing code which would mean a valve with anti-scald technology. Repairs generally do not trigger that, replacements do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks