Bathroom Vanity Stop Valve Type Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Sydflash

Reaction score
What is the best way to connect a bathroom vanity faucet stop valve to 1/2" copper supply lines?

I am leaning toward sweating threaded MIP adapters on the ends of the supply lines.

I think I have ruled out going with sweating the valves directly to the supplies - too hard to remove.

And the compression kind seem more likely to leak?

Thanks for any help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would never recommend that someone solder inside a vanity cabinet. If you have copper from the wall, use a compression stop.
The last homeowner that I tried to dissuade from soldering had three doctor degrees. He thought those degrees made him smarter than all the plumbers he had ever met. He later called me on the phone and admitted that almost lighting up the wall in a confined space was not such a good idea. I had repiped his home, and he was wanting to install the stops and lav faucet himself. Later I got invited to his party where he showed off all of the new work on his home. We had a good laugh together. Heck, I don't do my taxes anymore and I even pay others to work on my cars and vans, even though back in my youth I had rebuilt a few engines and done valve jobs.

With plumbing over the years, experience and remembering how badly some things had turned out, what was an amazing idea that failed, keeps us on the path of fewer potholes.

brasscraft-shutoff.jpg

Sydflash

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that the vanity is not in place yet - the drywall isn't even up - so I can still safely solder. I am trying to plan ahead. Would you go with the MIP connections over the compression?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would use compression after the drywall has been done and the cabinet is in place.

When our lawn mower broke and wouldn't run, my wife kept hinting to me that I should get it fixed.
But, somehow I always had something else to take care of first, the shed, the boat,
making beer.. Always something more important to me.

Finally she thought of a clever way to make her point.
When I arrived home one day, I found her seated in the tall grass, busily snipping away with a tiny pair of sewing
scissors. I watched silently for a short time and then went into
the house. I was gone only a minute, and when I came out again
I handed her a toothbrush.

I said, "When you finish cutting the
grass, you might as well sweep the driveway."

The doctors say I will walk again, but I will always have a limp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks