Bathroom upgrade - shower mixing valve question -

Users who are viewing this thread

BlueBrummie

Reaction score
Hi folks,

New to the forum and am looking for some advice/guidance about an upcoming bathroom renovation. I found a Moen shower faucet that I like but also found that the mixing valve has 3/4" inputs. I believe that this bath is serviced with 1/2" lines only (all dimensions ID). Current shower pressure is more than sufficient. Also, the new shower hardware is a shower head and handle combo, with each having a 2.5 GPM rating. So, my question is, will I be causing myself grief by putting a 1/2 to 3/4" adapter to interface to the new mixing valve? Also, I should say that I'm not likely to use both the shower head and separate handle at the same time, but I may.

For completeness sake, let me add my home pressure is near 60 PSI at the main. and the distance from the main to the 2nd floor bath is approximately 25 ft of 1/2" feeding off a 30 ft of 3/4", slightly longer for the hot water line. The new shower hardware is the Moen TS270.

If there's any other pertinent info you'd need to help, just let me know.

Many thanks for your help,
Erick

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The company often makes identical valve trim sets in both 1/2" and 3/4" rough-in versions; a 1/2" version will save you some money if it is available. No, it won't hurt performance using a reducer, and might even improve things a little as all valves have some internal flow resistance...a 3/4" one will usually have less than a 1/2" one.

BlueBrummie

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. After a bit of searching, I haven't been able to find a 1/2" version of the valve set (which is comprised of 1 temp valve and 2 volume valves for the main/handheld units). My inclination is to go ahead with my idea of adding the 1/2 to 3/4 transitions. If anyone else has thoughts/advice, I'd appreciate your input before I take the plunge and order the shower set.

Thanks again,
Erick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks