Bathroom Supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Schnabeltasse

Reaction score
I am building an addition with a new bathroom (thanks to everyone who helped me with the drain setup in another thread). I’m starting on the supply lines and have a few questions.

The bathroom will have a large custom shower, a tub, a toilet, and double vanity. The supply comes from 3/4 copper that is about 25 or 30 feet away underneath an existing bathroom. There is about another 25 or 30 feet from that bathroom to the water heaters and well tank (also 3/4 copper).
My shower will have a ceiling rain shower head, a wall shower head, a hand shower wand, and a total of 5 body sprays. They are not all intended for simultaneous use but will have mostly independent controls via two triple function valves (Grohe Smartcontrol) that each have a temperature dial and 3 volume controlled outlets. I plan to use two volume controls for two pairs of two body sprays, and separate volume controls for each shower head/wand, and the 5th body spray (see pic).

I’m planning to run everything in PEX. Due to the potentially large demand in the shower, I was planning on running 1” PEX from the existing bathroom to the new bathroom which should roughly match the internal pipe size of the existing 3/4” copper. I think I can live with the increased propagation time for hot in the larger pipe size. The toilet and vanity supply will tee off the 1” main line where the main line enters the basement underneath the new bathroom. I plan to use 1/2” PEX for a combined line to the vanity (splitting right underneath the vanity to supply the two sinks) and a separate 1/2” line to the toilet. I also plan to run a separate 1/2” line to the tub (or should this be 3/4” PEX?)

I’m considering a small electric tankless heater for the vanity to get instant hot and to avoid wasting a bunch of hot water in the supply line (since most often the hot water at the sink will be on shorter than it would take to get hot water from the main water heater). I will make provisions to add this in the future but for now will probably not install the heater and see how well it works without.

My main questions are about the shower supply. To feed the two three function valves, I was going to tee into the 1” line and run 1” stubs to the valves, with roughly the same distance between each valve and the tee. Do I need to run a loop (marked with dashed lines in my picture) to maintain even supply between the valves? It seems unnecessary for just two branches but I’m no expert. Should I maintain 1” for the stubs or go down to 3/4 PEX?
The same question applies to the two pairs of body sprays. Is it ok to just tee two stubs into the supply line from the valve or do I need the loop (dashed line)? I was going to use 3/4 between valve and tee and 1/2” for the stubs. Or would it be better to tee right at the valve and run the 1/2” stubs from there (I guess the advantage for how I have it drawn would be same length for each stub which wouldn’t be the case if I tee’d at the valve)?
The shower heads and the last body spray will all get separate 1/2” PEX lines to their valve ports.
Does anyone have concerns with these plans? I’m open for suggestions!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 3CD9876D-851E-44AF-B546-7CB5A6626E91.png
    3CD9876D-851E-44AF-B546-7CB5A6626E91.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 138
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks