Bathroom smells after showering

Users who are viewing this thread

Shababa98

Reaction score
Hello, I'm not very knowledgeable about plumbing, plus I'm a student, so I don't have the funds to have my pipes checked out. I was hoping to obtain some help and thoughts on what is wrong with my bathtub. I moved into my apartment about two weeks ago, and after taking a shower, I notice a terrible odor that smells like rotten cheese but I’m unable to find the source. And the stench comes out after about 10-20 minutes of running the shower. I also get a headache after showering due to the smell and the smell takes some time to dissipate. The apartment was unoccupied for a month prior to my move in. I asked maintenance to come take a look for any leaky sewage pipes and they said the pipes weren’t connected to the sewer, therefore they wouldn't come. Not sure how true that is because again I’m not familiar with plumbing. But I did some research and I think my ptrap is dried out; I’ll attach a picture. I do believe it’s within my states pluming code to have a ptrap to prevent the sewage smell from emitting as well as a vent of some sort typically found on the roof. I’m not sure how to go about having my maintenance come check out the issue and if I’m even correct about my assumption.

Attachments

• BC5A2536-3625-4AFC-B497-A98AA3C7E0F1.jpeg
    BC5A2536-3625-4AFC-B497-A98AA3C7E0F1.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Try running some water down the lavatory drain before showering. Close the stopper.

You can get some cheap plastic dropcloths. Put one over the lavatory, and one over the toilet. Maybe hang one as a curtain to divide the room. See if that helps isolate the source of the smell. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Husky-Pl...Mil-3-Pack/17217856?athbdg=L1200&from=/search

Most things that I could imagine would be something within the walls or floors, but you can perhaps isolate where the smell comes out of.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
a real easy would be to copy and paste your post and send to management asking them to report to maintenance asap .
Reach4 gives some ideas but this isnt your problem as tenant. Id be polite and document , maybe dont copy and paste but basicaly the same info. good luck and keep us posted how they handle it.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A dry trap would only be temporary until it is filled with water when the drain is used.
.............. I asked maintenance to come take a look for any leaky sewage pipes and they said the pipes weren’t connected to the sewer, therefore they wouldn't come. Not sure how true that is because again I’m not familiar with plumbing............
I feel for you since the maintenance knows nothing or just trying to dazzle you to thinking they are smarter. An impossible statement. All drains are connected to a sewer or septic system and do generate sewer gas. I guarantee that this is a known problem by them and previous renters have complained about it. It probably not the maintenance guys problem but the owner of the building where no money is spent on repairs. There are many ways odors can penetrate into a room. If you're in an old home with cast iron pipes, they do eventually fail. They'll crack or rust through. As Reach suggest, sewer gas can be entering from the sink, toilet or tub drain. The pressure is high enough to push past the trap back into the room. Doubtful it is the toilet.

Does the bathroom have an exhaust fan and or window? If a window open it about an inch and an exhaust fan, keep it off with the window open. It won't fix the problem but may help to air out the room. Getting a headache could be serious and I would start looking for another place. File a compliant if possible and break the lease. I'm sure there are renter protection laws and sewer gas odor does not make it a safe place.

Shababa98

Reaction score
a real easy would be to copy and paste your post and send to management asking them to report to maintenance asap .
Reach4 gives some ideas but this isnt your problem as tenant. Id be polite and document , maybe dont copy and paste but basicaly the same info. good luck and keep us posted how they handle it.
Ive actually emailed them twice already regarding the issue and they have not reached out to me :/

Shababa98

Reaction score
A dry trap would only be temporary until it is filled with water when the drain is used.

I feel for you since the maintenance knows nothing or just trying to dazzle you to thinking they are smarter. An impossible statement. All drains are connected to a sewer or septic system and do generate sewer gas. I guarantee that this is a known problem by them and previous renters have complained about it. It probably not the maintenance guys problem but the owner of the building where no money is spent on repairs. There are many ways odors can penetrate into a room. If you're in an old home with cast iron pipes, they do eventually fail. They'll crack or rust through. As Reach suggest, sewer gas can be entering from the sink, toilet or tub drain. The pressure is high enough to push past the trap back into the room. Doubtful it is the toilet.

Does the bathroom have an exhaust fan and or window? If a window open it about an inch and an exhaust fan, keep it off with the window open. It won't fix the problem but may help to air out the room. Getting a headache could be serious and I would start looking for another place. File a compliant if possible and break the lease. I'm sure there are renter protection laws and sewer gas odor does not make it a safe place.
So there won't be standing water in the shower drain all the time? Sorry Ive been reading so much on this to see if others were having the same issue as me and assuming the shower drain should have some water when looking down into it. There is an exhaust fan and a window in the bathroom. I keep the window open to allow fresh air in and out, but the smell does not go away for at least 15-20 minutes after showering.

Also, I noticed today that my toilet water level drops immediately after flushing, and it makes a running noise for a few moments. I And water was leaking into my neighbor's apartment, so she complained to maintenance.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont think it makes sence to advize you how to tear walls out and replumb or repair this.
what you need is advice to force them to fix the place including but not limited to tricks like stop paying rent I am not a legal expert and you are in a differant state which makes my knowledge even less . I think you need to seek help elsewhere this is becoming a landlord tenant issue not DIY help

Caliber_Plumbing

Reaction score

Agreed! As a tenant, this is not your area of concern. Also, it's practically not possible for a pipe to not be connected to the drain or sewer. Ask your landlord to call for plumbing service as soon as possible.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agreed! As a tenant, this is not your area of concern. Also, it's practically not possible for a pipe to not be connected to the drain or sewer. Ask your landlord to call for plumbing service as soon as possible.

he said he already done that a couple times , sent 2 emails but agree keep trying again person and then take the next level of action that is appropriate

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
So there won't be standing water in the shower drain all the time? Sorry Ive been reading so much on this to see if others were having the same issue as me and assuming the shower drain should have some water when looking down into it. There is an exhaust fan and a window in the bathroom. I keep the window open to allow fresh air in and out, but the smell does not go away for at least 15-20 minutes after showering.

Also, I noticed today that my toilet water level drops immediately after flushing, and it makes a running noise for a few moments. I And water was leaking into my neighbor's apartment, so she complained to maintenance.
Is this a shower stall or a bathtub? A bathtub you cannot see the trap. A shower stall usually the trap is directly below the drain.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good call on the trap not visible on a tub/shower. Either way I just dont see the renter as doing the work

GL77

Reaction score
Maintenance says your pipes aren't connected to sewer? Where the heck does the waste water go then?

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, I noticed today that my toilet water level drops immediately after flushing, and it makes a running noise for a few moments.
Normal, except that that running sound should be longer than a few moments. The tank refills, and the bowl refills.
I And water was leaking into my neighbor's apartment, so she complained to maintenance.
Not normal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks