Bathroom sink won't drain, not clogged

Users who are viewing this thread

Keyrock

Reaction score
I've been wrestling with this for a week. All new PVC and it doesn't leak, however it won't drain promptly. My theory is there's not enough downward slope on the tail piece, was wondering what folks thought.

Screenshot_20220121-114902_Chrome.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes the leak is the vertical between the trap the sink. I remove the trap, and wad a paper towel, that gets pushed down the drain into a waiting pan. Then I reassemble.

pushing-paper-down-drain-01.jpg

hair-in-drain.jpg

hair-in-drain-3.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even if that horizontal drain is the absolute worst tube for a horizontal drain... and even if it were slightly backgraded, it should still drain.

Is this a new installation or just a rehab using the worst p-trap that money could buy?

Get rid of the corrugated flexible tubing.. its not legal, its going to cause problems and there is NO reason at all to use it.

Very likely as Terry pointed out, the trap is backgraded and preventing the trap from venting properly.

Did I mention that corrugated p-trap tubing needs to be replaced with a smooth walled p-trap?

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the sink have an overflow? You may have used a drain designed for a sink with no overflow. Overflows have another function in that they pass air to below the stopper.

I suggest putting a soda straw down past the stopper, an see if air via the straw makes the sink drain nicely.

Keyrock

Reaction score
Even if that horizontal drain is the absolute worst tube for a horizontal drain... and even if it were slightly backgraded, it should still drain.

Is this a new installation or just a rehab using the worst p-trap that money could buy?

Get rid of the corrugated flexible tubing.. its not legal, its going to cause problems and there is NO reason at all to use it.

Very likely as Terry pointed out, the trap is backgraded and preventing the trap from venting properly.

Did I mention that corrugated p-trap tubing needs to be replaced with a smooth walled p-trap?
New install using the worst p-trap that money could buy. Yes I bit on the $15 Amazon "kit."

When you say backgraded do you mean the trap is oriented in the wrong direction?

Keyrock

Reaction score
Does the sink have an overflow? You may have used a drain designed for a sink with no overflow. Overflows have another function in that they pass air to below the stopper.

I suggest putting a soda straw down past the stopper, an see if air via the straw makes the sink drain nicely.
No overflow on this sink

Reach4

Reaction score

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wonder if they make an AAV for overflows!? Hah.. I think I invented something.

Even if its a quirk with the no overflow sink, you'll want to remove the corrugated trap. And ensure that it is graded/pitched towards the wall

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
To fix this, the system would need to release air, not admit air.
OK.. An air Emmittance valve..

SO.. I took a square of TP and got it wet. Pasted that over the Overflow and filled the sink. Rather than sucking in the TP, it pushed it out creating a bubble.

We should have a Mythbusters thread!

Keyrock

Reaction score
Sometimes the leak is the vertical between the trap the sink. I remove the trap, and wad a paper towel, that gets pushed down the drain into a waiting pan. Then I reassemble.

pushing-paper-down-drain-01.jpg

hair-in-drain.jpg

hair-in-drain-3.jpg
I tried this and some gunk did fall out, but it still won't drain

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks