Bathroom Sink Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark A Goins

Reaction score
My sink in the bathroom has started to leak all over the floor everytime someone tried to turn on the water to the sink. I removed the pieces under the sink...I think they are called "the trap"??? but the part that comes out of the wall is in terrible shape and that seems to be where the leak is originating from.

105_0312.JPG

I do not see any threads on the pipe that protudes from the wall...how would I go about fixing this the correct way...I have tried to take a picture to show the pipe but my photo skills arent to good and the closer I try to take the picture the worse it gets.

Reach4

Reaction score
how would I go about fixing this the correct way.
Somebody will have to tear into the wall.

While you are at it, get the stop valves and escutcheons replaced.

A plumber could have you up and going, except for closing the wall, in maybe a couple of hours . Or you could maybe do it in a couple of weeks.

Is this area hidden inside a lavatory cabinet?

Mark A Goins

Reaction score
Somebody will have to tear into the wall.

While you are at it, get the stop valves and escutcheons replaced.

A plumber could have you up and going, except for closing the wall, in maybe a couple of hours . Or you could maybe do it in a couple of weeks.

Is this area hidden inside a lavatory cabinet?

Here is a picture of the area

105_0315.JPG

Mark A Goins

Reaction score
The nipple from the wall, maybe a 1-1/4" will need replacing.
Or maybe a rubber coupling as a handyman hack for the moment.

I think I saw a rubber coupling and must admit I was thinking very seriously about it,,I also so someone talking about a Marvel fitting,, but I have seen there are Marvel fittings in "plastic" and others that are made of "metal" the pipe coming out of the wall has no threads on it that I can see so Im not even sure one of those metal type marvel fittings would work for me? Not sure if posting things from other sites is allowed on here since Im new but this is the video I am referencing.....

If it is unallowed, Im sorry,,I did not mean to violate any terms,,just trying to give an example to see if that might possibly work for me

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That pipe nipple coming out of the wall is probably too rough for one of those rubber things to actually seal well. It appears that that is a galvanized steel nipple (a short pipe with threads on each end) or maybe even just a plain iron one. Anything galvanized or steel is going to eventually rust. You may have similar rusting problems inside of the wall. If it screws into a cast iron fitting, you might be able to unscrew that, and replace it, preferably with a brass one. But, grabbing it with a pipe wrench may just cause it to collapse, and the fitting in the wall may not be in much better shape. You might get lucky. It will be safer to have a professional resolve this. Depends on how adventurous you are and how long you can live without using that sink if you run into problems. If you don't want to tear off the tile, would it be possible to open the wall behind this to gain access?

If you have a lot of this in the house, you may need to start to budget for some major replacement work down the line.

FWIW, most digital cameras today have a macro mode...often, it's in symbols which may be something like a flower or something to indicate a closeup mode. That would allow you to get closer and remain clear, making the fitting clearer and larger.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks