Bathroom Sink Drain Run

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Bruckner

Reaction score
I need to run the drain pipe for the sink roughly 10' horizontally from the current location in the basement floor.
I will have a vent pipe going directly up from where the drain enters the floor but since I am running 10 feet away from that vent do I need additional vent(s) between that spot and where the sink P trap will be located?

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 157

Reach4

Reaction score
I need to run the drain pipe for the sink roughly 10' horizontally from the current location in the basement floor.
I will have a vent pipe going directly up from where the drain enters the floor
I think you are talking about that PVC pipe by the concrete where the vertical red line is.

If that pipe is a drain, you can't get your vent from that pipe. Is that the pipe carrying waste from the kitchen sink? I think you will want to use an AAV near the new lavatory, unless you can connect to an actual vent pipe.

On the other hand, if that pipe is a vent for the toilet rough in, you might be be able to use it making the vent a wet vent. I am not sure. There may well be a problem with that too.

What diameter is that pipe that you are thinking of tapping into?

Last edited:

Michael Bruckner

Reaction score
That is the lavatory drain pipe which is 2" diameter which I plan to use as a vent for the toilet and shower. I was hoping to run the drain pipe laterally as the red line to the right shows. I would then plan to put a vent at the back where the pipe turns to meet the p trap for the sink.
Is there a certain distant a drain pipe can run before it needs another vent or is the less then 2' from the p trap adequate?

Reach4

Reaction score
that is the lavatory drain pipe which is 2" diameter which i pan to use as a vent for the toilet and shower.
I think you are saying that they intended that for the lavatory in the rough-in, but they expected the lavatory pretty much there. Instead you want the lav about 10 ft to the right.

UPC says that the distance through a 2 inch trap arm to the sanitary tee which does the venting can only add up to 5 ft. It's a max of 8 ft for IPC. For Wisconsin code, I don't know. I tried to look.

Could you run that 10 foot length horizontally, but have an AAV on the way, and then still let that pipe into the concrete still be a wet vent? I really don't know that either, but if that is your proposal, somebody may know the answer to that. Logically, I would feel that should be allowed, but that doesn't count.

If you run a real vent pipe over to toward the lav, venting via a combo in the drain path, that would seem better, but I still don't know if that could then serve as a vent path.

Here is my attempt at illustrating this question.
  1. If the pink section were removed, would this be OK?
  2. If the pink section of pipe is present, would this be OK?
The answers under WI code would be relevant to Michael, but I wonder about the answers under UPC and IPC also.
img_1.png

Last edited:

Michael Bruckner

Reaction score
I guess the drawing below and please forgive my paint skills -
upload_2020-4-8_12-46-36.png

This is my original idea. I would run a 2nd vent or a aav closer to the sink drain.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe its like this under the floor:

Attachments

• img_2.jpg
    img_2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 135

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The drawing reach 4made above looks closer than wiscon 1848 drew if thats the way it was plumbed then I belive shower is improperly vented. At this point I would proceed and be sure my vent is withen distance of trap wier. (2 ft 6 in upc but unknown by me for ipc code)

Reach4

Reaction score
At this point I would proceed and be sure my vent is withen distance of trap wier. (2 ft 6 in upc but unknown by me for ipc code)
In 2 inch, it's 5ft or UPC and 8ft in IPC. There's a UPC table on https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/upc-venting-questions.73782/ #3.

I think that distance would include the part sticking out of the wall plus the path after the bend on the way to the vent.

I guess some factor would come into play if the trap arm starts at 1.5 or 1.25, and expands to 2 inch at the trap adapter.

Michael Bruckner

Reaction score
Well the rough plumb was done about 2 years ago by a reputable plumber so i would like to assume it was done correctly but who knows. The angle of the lav drain and the angle of the tub drain both angle to meet at the main line going to the sewage ejector tub.
The only way i could get a vent off the tub/shower drain would be to move the wall up and eat up some of the shower since the drain is roughly 9.5" from the wall and there is a drain tile tube that runs in between the concrete wall and the drain.
I could knock out some concrete and run a vent to the right or left and up the wall prior to the p trap on the shower/tub drain.
See the picture below.
Also if it is max 8 feet, is that from the vent? Would 2 vents then as shown in the second picture suffice?

The hardest part is i dont know what is going on under the concrete but i want to make sure i do it right.

Attachments

• shower vent.jpg
    shower vent.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 125
  • bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 127

Michael Bruckner

Reaction score
So i actually got ahold of a camera snake to take a look down to pipes to see how they connect
If the shower drain connects directly to the wc main pipe would it be wise to put a vent off the main lav drain coming out the floor, a vent near the p trap on the new location of the sink and a vent right before the p trap on the shower drain? Total 3 vents?

Reach4

Reaction score
So i actually got ahold of a camera snake to take a look down to pipes to see how they connect
If the shower drain connects directly to the wc main pipe would it be wise to put a vent off the main lav drain coming out the floor, a vent near the p trap on the new location of the sink and a vent right before the p trap on the shower drain? Total 3 vents?
Probably you won't need 3 vents. Sketch what you think you have now below the concrete, and what fixtures you will put in. They likely had some thing in mind where the venting was OK. You are moving stuff from where they envisioned, so that might mean you need more venting.

Michael Bruckner

Reaction score
Below is my understanding. The still unknown is if the shower drain hits the main drain line before the lav line. The lav line is a 2" coming out of the floor.
Would it make more sense if using the lav line for a vent for the system that it met the main line in between the WC and the shower drain?
Would it be right to have the proposed vent below with a vent after the shower p trap as well as a vent in between the lav darin p trap and the vertical vent 10 feet to the left?

upload_2020-4-11_8-27-46.png

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest that you run a snake into the shower drain. Then see if the camera through the wc drain sees the snake before seeing the lav line. Or did you snake the WC and see two inputs from the sides?

Michael Bruckner

Reaction score
Well i took a look this am and the drawing above would be accurate. The lav drain does connect in between the wc and where the shower drain comes in

Reach4

Reaction score
If it is just as you drew it, consider bringing in the vent from the new lav as a wet vent.

So I am thinking to run the lav drain like the yellow or pink lines. The new lav will wet vent the shower and toilet.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 120
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks