Bathroom Sink Drain Assembly and Toilet Supply Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Troodon

Reaction score
I was removing a tiny pedestal sink in our cabin in preparation for new flooring being put down next week. When I started to move the sink, the drain broke. You can see where the crack was, at about the 0.5" mark. The drain goes down into an ABS p-trap.
IMG_8765.JPG

Are these pretty standard to replace, and am I safe just buying a similar-looking 1 1/4 inch drain assembly? Coming home, I brought back the portion below where it broke, but neglected to measure the drain in the actual sink. It's an older sink, a now-defunct "Olmos" brand from Uruguay.
IMG_8777.JPG

And here's what was left on the wall.
IMG_8779.JPG

Lastly, I have a toilet supply question. I need to replace the one below. I'm not sure if a 9-inch would be long enough. Does the stated length of supply lines (like the Fluidmaster Pro ones) include the fittings? What's there is a 12, I think.
IMG_8780.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8766.JPG
    IMG_8766.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 96

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a new pop-up which will probably come with a tailpiece that is too short... so, you will also need to get a longer 1 1/4" threaded tailpiece or a slip joint extension (1 1/2" plastic is price performer) and an 1 1/2 X 1 1/4 slip joint washer. As for the supply tube, they don't put a micrometer on those things and the length can vary a tat. If the 12" wasn't ugly that is what I would go with because too short causes unwanted stress. That said, 9" would probably work.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
That will work but probably be too short to reach the trap, so you would need an extension.

Troodon

Reaction score
Got the drain assembly and the extension this morning. Will try it out on Thursday at the cabin. Thanks again.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hope you also have an 1 1/2 X 1 1/4 reducing washer, it will be needed.

Troodon

Reaction score
Does that reducing washer go between the tailpiece and the extension? If so, it seems the extension came with one:
1.25 in x 6 in Plastic Slip-Joint Sink Drain Extension Tube.png

Or does it go where the extension joins with the ABS p-trap? If that's the case, I was going to re-use the washer that's in there (between the brass-looking nut and the ABS, below). But maybe it's better to get a new one of those instead of re-using it.
IMG_8766.JPG

Thanks for helping me reduce the number of "Oh $#!t" moments.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The reducing slip joint washer fits on the 1.25" tail piece so that the 1.5" extension seals.
If it was a 1.5" kitchen or laundry sink drain, then the standard 1.5" slip joint washer.

Reach4

Reaction score
A reducing washer would be for when you transition from 1.25 to 1.5.

While a flex tailpiece extension is frowned upon, it is better than having a lot of stress due to your less-adjustable p-trap.

Troodon

Reaction score
Apologies for ignorance, but I'm a little confused now. The extension I bought is a 1-1/4 inch extension. When you guys say 1.5 inch, what are you referring to? Mr. Tee, I guess I didn't understand what you meant when you said "1 1/2" plastic is price performer." I should have asked, probably.

I measured the existing tailpiece that broke, and it was 1-1/4", so I used that measurement as my guide in buying two items: a drain assembly that includes a 1-1/4" talipiece, and a 1-1/4" slip-joint extension tube in case the tailpiece ends up not being long enough to reach into the trap.

I can go back and return/exchange items if needed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your trap looks like it would accept 1.5. The tailpiece and extension would be 1.25. So the reducing washer in your case would be where the tailpiece extension goes into the trap.

white-oatey-faucet-washers-hdc2698c-64_100.jpg
shows a 1-1/2 inch washer and a reducing washer on the left, along with a slip joint nut.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The lav drain is 1.25"
If your p-trap is also 1.25" then that is what you're working with.

Often on "new" construction, everything from the wall comes out 1.5", therefore the the comments regarding that.

Troodon

Reaction score
Ah OK, got it now. Yes, the trap is a bigger diameter than the 1-1/4" tailpiece. I'll get a couple of those reducing washers for this and any future uses.

Troodon

Reaction score
So I bought the extension, but didn't end up using it. I'm keeping it around just in case. The 1 1/4 inch tailpiece extended into the 1 1/2 inch p-trap about 3/4 inch below where the nut locks them together. I should have asked what the prevailing wisdom was about how far the tailpiece should penetrate the trap, I guess. But it seemed OK through a few tests with a stopped sink full of water.
IMG_9013.JPG

I also found that the white 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 reducing washers I bought left a slight gap when I slid them over the tailpiece. I didn't know if this was by design -- for example, if the gap is supposed to squeeze shut when the washer is locked in there with the nut (Is that the case?). I ended up using a different washer, one I had left over from a previous project:
reducing washer.jpg

It has a different profile than the ones I got from supply house. This red oatey one, with the terraced step-down design, seemed to work OK and be snug, though I thought it looked weird when I installed it. No leaks, though.

Let me know if I've made any mistakes here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks