Bathroom rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

GeronimoDF

Reaction score
Vent and concrete question

Hi,
I have a bathroom on a slab. How does this rough in look?

Main Line: 4 inch
Toilet: Vented with a 2 inch rolled wye
Sink: Vented with a 2 inch sani-tee
Shower: Vented with a 2 inch rolled wye

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It works, although I am not sure if it is how I, or other plumbers, might have done it. The 2" flat shower vent would not pass inspection in most areas, and the toilet's vent could also be suspect.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How I would do it would depend partly on how far the main line is below the floor, and the distances between the various fixtures. Just "rolling" the vent does not eliminate it from being a flat vent, it just minimizes how much stuff is going to get into it.

GeronimoDF

Reaction score
It is within five feet..... I will wet vent the shower with lavoratory. Which way is better to vent the toilet in the above pictures? The second picture I think would work better in my case but it looks like there is more of chance for decreased flow. Or it doesn't matter?

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Neither vent will pass inspection, even with the rolled wye fitting. You don't need to vent the toilet separatly, it can wet vent off any other fixture in the group

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, if you can visualize it, I might run the vertical pipe behind the lavatory with a sanitary tee for the sink. The toilet would go into a sanitary tee with a 2" side inlet. It would be turned to it faces the toilet's location with a closet bend on the end of it. The shower would go into the side inlet. EVERYTHING would be vented through the single riser.

santee_right_side_inlet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gsalet

George the Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.PlumbingPro.com
I guess the big question is were is the bathroom being installed? in San Francisco wet venting is not allowed, each plumbing fixture must have it's own vent. I was always told plumbing is like driving a car the less turns the faster you can go. It's fun seeing how we all do the installation differently

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; was always told plumbing is like driving a car the less turns the faster you can go.

That was true until the delivery services found out that it was faster to make three right turns than one left turn in traffic.

GeronimoDF

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who has taken their time to contribute to this thread. I figured everything out. The last tensing piece of the puzzle is this:
Basement will have a laundry machine
First floor will have a bathroom

The main line is 3 inches.
Can I vent everything off a 2 inch line?
By my calculations it will be fine.

Clothes Washer Standpipe: 3FU
Water closet: 4FU
Lavatory: 1FU
Shower stall: 2FU
Total: 10FU

A 2 inch pipe has a max of 24 DFU.

Ohhh one more question!

After I break up the concrete, I put a 6 mil poly for the vapor barrier, then I cover the new PVC pipe with sand, pack it down, and then rock and then the concrete right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks