Bathroom rough in : joist under wall

Users who are viewing this thread

robinsi

Reaction score
28869225-8CE4-485A-A807-16E8EDCBEF8D.jpeg
B48CC192-0C8D-4609-A6E8-D7B7903C5018.jpeg
3018F01B-5D29-4E2A-9B9A-469054ED710D.jpeg
Hi,
I’m new here so I hope my first post makes sense!
I’m remodeling my cottage bathroom. There is a floor joist right under and parallel to the wall where the shower, toilet and sink are. So the drains and vents cannot go trough the bottom plate of the wall like they usually do :(
To solve that issue, I plan to use the space under the sink to run them at a 45 degree angle at the bottom of the wall. Also, the kitchen sink drain merge with the main drain but I plan to vent it independently since it’s like 12’ away.
I included a shema of the rough I plan to install. I would really appreciate feedback on it : does it make sense? Is it up to code? Is it a good design?
Some of the questions I have are the following :
1) Can I wet vent the shower like I did?
2) Is a 2” main vent big enough? (I don’t want to use a 3” since it’s in a 2x4 wall, but I could if I really need to)
3) Does it makes sense to vent the kitchen sink (and maybe eventually a dish washer) independently? Can I use another 2” pipe inside an exterior wall made of 2x6?

I hope I included enough info, let me know if it’s not the case.
Thank you!!
Robin

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your shower isn't vented, if I understand things. Flushing the toilet has a good chance of siphoning the shower trap. While you can wet vent the toilet, you have to vent the shower. Can you move that vent connection between the shower and the toilet?

robinsi

Reaction score
Thanks Jadnashua!
I will definetly try to see what I can do tomorrow. I guess I could maybe sqeeze a 1.5” pipe diagonaly in the bottom plate that would mergd into the 2” main vent. Would 1.5” be big enough for that? Appart from that, does the rest of it makes sense to you?
Thank you so much, that is very much apreciated.
Best,
Robin

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not positive about the fittings you've selected, but for the vent, moving it so that the shower is vented will work. I think 1.5" on that vent is fine, but Terry or one of the pros will be able to tell you definitively. Note, Canada has some different rules than the US, so that may have some variations on what's best or allowed based on local practice. We'll get a Canadian plumber on here occasionally. IOW, what's code in the USA may be overkill for the code in Canada, but still should work fine, but a Canadian practice might not pass a US code inspection.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
index.php

I would run a single 2" wet vent between the wye for the toilet and the tub, and then arm over to pick up the lav with 1.5"
The vent continues up as 2" because of the toilet.

robinsi

Reaction score
I'm not positive about the fittings you've selected, but for the vent, moving it so that the shower is vented will work. I think 1.5" on that vent is fine, but Terry or one of the pros will be able to tell you definitively. Note, Canada has some different rules than the US, so that may have some variations on what's best or allowed based on local practice. We'll get a Canadian plumber on here occasionally. IOW, what's code in the USA may be overkill for the code in Canada, but still should work fine, but a Canadian practice might not pass a US code inspection.

Thanks Jadnashua!
I ended up using a independent vent for the shower that branch to the main stack vent. I also used a 3 inches main vent true the roof as this will be the only vent for the chalet (appart from the vent for the sewage pump that need to be independent).
Thanks for your comment, It was really appreciated. I’ll post a picture of the whole thing when it will be finished.
Cheers,
Robin

robinsi

Reaction score
index.php

I would run a single 2" wet vent between the wye for the toilet and the tub, and then arm over to pick up the lav with 1.5"
The vent continues up as 2" because of the toilet.

Thank you so much for your comment! I ended up venting all the fixtures independently just to be extra safe :)
By the way your site is amazing and saved my life more than once!
Best,
Robin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks