Bathroom reno - reuse old tub, install new plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

CTNJ

Reaction score
We are having a 2nd floor bathroom renovated. All that will remain from the original bathroom is a cast iron tub. Currently original (1981) trip lever drain (drains slowly in spite of a plumber adjustment, snaking). Would like to convert to lift and turn with new drain / pipe.

My questions:
  • Is it possible for the plumber to replace the plumbing in this scenario?
  • Will it be necessary to go through ceiling below to complete / allow full access?
  • I assume I need to purchase the trip lever drain / pipe set-up to have on hand (to coordinate with remainder of bathroom finishes).

Thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To replace a tub waster and overflow, you will need some access. The 2nd floor gives you the ceiling below option. Sometimes you can change them out from the drain wall if you have access to the other side.
Somebody will need to supply the drain. I'm assuming new valve in the wall, new trim, and you will want the trim for the tub to match the finish.

CTNJ

Reaction score
Thank you! Because I am going through a contractor, who will outsource to plumber, he told me to go ahead and get the full "outfit" like this below. We will be adding an access panel behind the tub (linen closet) while everything is torn apart. All tile will be removed, but I wasn't sure if that would be enough access.

moen-tub-drain-brushed-nickel.jpg

Moen 1.5-in Brushed Nickel Triplever Drain with Brass Pipe in the Bathtub Drains department at Lowes.com

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks