Bathroom Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Rwbil

Reaction score
I am remodeling my MBA and am lookign for ideas. THE MBR is 19' x 13' and the MBA is about 6' x 8', but I can easily expand the bath to be 6' x 14', which seems a little narrow. I can make it wider, but it will reduce my MBR. So if I make it 7' x 14' the MBR would be reduced to be 19' x 12'. I am willing to move the plumbing around to get the best layout for the bathroom. I want a walk in shower, a seperate whirlpool tub, a linen closet, and either a large double vanity or two seperate vanities. I am attaching one idea. But I am worried the space between the vanity and tub will be tight. Has anybody else seen or have a great layout idea for a 7' x 14 x bath. Also does anybody think reducing the MBR to make a larger bath is a bad idea.

On the drawing the door entrance is from the MBR. To the right is the MBR walk in closet.

Attachments

• Bath design.jpg
    Bath design.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 3,091

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need to draw things to scale...based on your dimensions, I doubt it's to scale. The shower is way too narrow. 36" would be the minimum I'd want to consider.

double_lav_rough_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Mb

As Dolly Parton would say, "You are trying to put 10 gallons of mud into a 5 gallon bucket." The walk in shower at the entry will create a feeling of tightness. At least switch it and the closet around. The tub facing the sinks will also create a "snug" passageway between them.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If the narrow dimension of the room is 6', you have plenty to put a tub across that short side. Standard tubs are 5'. Personally, if you want a soaking tub, consider a 6' tub, or even a 7' one if you are tall (and you can make that dimension at least 7'). Draw things to scale and see what fits. Normally, you want at least 2' and 30" is better as a walkway. A second vanity is kind of useless if you can't get around the other person to get to it. If you ever think you may be in a wheelchair, even more is required. Code has some minimums that will apply.

Rwbil

Reaction score
More Layouts

Taking everyone's advice, I have created two possible layouts. Both are to scale. In one I have a corner shower and vanities across the closet. Any improved layout suggestion appreciated.

Attachments

• Bathlayout1.jpg
    Bathlayout1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,793
  • Bathlayout2.jpg
    Bathlayout2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 4,255

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If this were up for a vote, I'd vote for the second layout. Partially hiding the water closet even if it's only partially is a nice thing. I would think about switching the shower and the closet but that's a personal preference to seeing both those fixtures together. Additionally the tile work can pull them together.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Consider a pocket door rather than a traditional swinging one, it really helps in a small room. If you leave the tub across the end of the room, since you have 6', go with a 6' tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks