Bathroom Remodel Wet Vent Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Ds0440

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post on this forum but have been using it as a resource for various projects. I am hoping to get a little advice on my DWV rework for a bathroom remodel. I plan to get this work inspected so pointers would be much appreciated. Please see the attached proposed plans along with pictures of current state.

Background
I am remodeling a home built in 96. I was hoping to swap the shower and vanity locations (both 2") and just move the tub a few feet. After opening everything up, I think I am seeing some code violations already. I am hoping to salvage as much as I can from what is already in place. Specifically I am hoping to put as few new holes in the joists as possible.

Local Code
This remodel is taking place in Forsyth County GA. County should be following IPC with a few GA state specific amendments. I don't think these amendments will be related to this project.

Questions
1. Am I correct in thinking that the horizontal dry vent below the flood level rim pictured in bath-lav01/02 is an IPC code violation? I am not sure how this passed inspection originally.
2. I would like to get feedback on my current plans (bath-lav-prop and shower-wc-prop). Do you think they would pass inspection (assuming the install was proper)?
3. Would the wet vent length pictured in bath-lav-prop be acceptable? I am unclear whether the total slope for a wet vent can exceed the pipe size similar to a trap arms. I am under the impression the only requirement is to maintain 1/4 per foot slope regardless of length. Seems like you could run into the same trouble as with excessive trap arm length though. I can make new holes and shorten this run if need be. I have plenty of leeway on the tub trap arm length.
4. Should/can I switch to a 1.5 inch dry section of vent in shower-wc-prop? I am pretty sure this should meet code but I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea for a double head shower. 1.5 would be easier to put in the wall but I don't want to undersize.
5. If all seems well (unlikely), are there any reasonable recommendations to improve the system? I want to pass the IPC inspection but I also would like this to be a good long term solution.

(edit) I forgot to mark that the double lav would be a 2 x 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 fixture tee if I can get it or a double sani.

Attachments

• bath-lav-prop.jpg
    bath-lav-prop.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 170
  • shower-wc02.jpg
    shower-wc02.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 170
  • shower-wc01.jpg
    shower-wc01.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 162
  • shower-wc-prop.jpg
    shower-wc-prop.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 177
  • bath-lav02.jpg
    bath-lav02.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 167
  • bath-lav01.jpg
    bath-lav01.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Ds0440

Reaction score
This has been out there for a while with no responses. I am just now getting close to starting this project. Is there something I can do to better clarify my questions or solicit critique? I thought the post was reasonably clear but this might be just because I was the one that wrote it. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to clarify my questions.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a sketch of the proposed bath layout, locating where the 3" is so that we can see where everything has to grade to.
A drawing of bathfixtures so we can get a better idea of what gets connected.

Ds0440

Reaction score
How about a sketch of the proposed bath layout, locating where the 3" is so that we can see where everything has to grade to.
A drawing of bathfixtures so we can get a better idea of what gets connected.
I did attempt this with the bath-lav-prop and shower-wc-prop drawings (prop short for proposed). It sounds like those were not successful in conveying the proposed bath layouts. Looking at it now, the sections labeled "vertical drain" are kind of ambiguous. These were meant to display the two separate 3" pipes that ultimately travel vertically down the first floor wall to connect to the 3" main line out of the house that is down in the basement. I drew these separately because the two sections of plumbing are pretty much separate except for where they connect to the main 3" (trunk?) in the basement. I think you are saying it would be better to have a single drawing instead of the two separate drawings? I tried to describe the fixtures using the appropriate pipe size and trap location. Would more descriptive labels be helpful to better describe the fixtures?

I will see if I can get a more clear proposal tomorrow. Sorry this is my first time doing this. I really appreciate the feedback.

Ds0440

Reaction score
Alright, I ended doing a full 3D model instead. Took a bit longer but hopefully this will add a lot of clarity. There are a few different views of the full layout. If you cannot see a tag in a particular view, there should be a different view with the tag visible. Please let me know if I am missing any details that would be helpful. Below are reworded questions to go along with the new proposed layout pictures. Thanks again.

I just noticed the reduction in picture quality after they were uploaded. All of the pipe/fitting sizes/lengths/types are noted in the paper drawing. If you are unable to read them, let me know. Also, ignore the actual fittings in the rendering. I had trouble finding all the actual parts so I just made some work and labelled them with what they were actually supposed to be.

Questions
1. Am I correct in thinking that the horizontal dry vent below the flood level rim pictured in bath-lav01/02 is an IPC code violation? I am not sure how this passed inspection originally.

2. Do you think this plumbing layout would pass inspection under IPC assuming proper installation?

3. Would the long wet vent for the bathtub be acceptable? I am unclear whether the total slope for a wet vent can exceed the pipe size similar to a trap arms. I am under the impression the only requirement is to maintain 1/4 per foot slope regardless of length. Seems like you could run into the same trouble as with excessive trap arm length though. I can make new holes and shorten this run if need be. I was just hoping to leave the joists alone if I could.

4. I am unclear on what the dry piping size is actually required to be for the shower and toilet vent. Would 1.5 work instead of 2? This would make the install easier but I don't want to under-size.

5. If all seems well, are there any reasonable recommendations to improve the system? I want to pass the IPC inspection but I also would like this to be a good long term solution.

Attachments

• bottom-detail-view.png
    bottom-detail-view.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 109
  • overall-view-top.png
    overall-view-top.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 113
  • side-vent-view.png
    side-vent-view.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 115
  • wet-vent-view.png
    wet-vent-view.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks