Bathroom remodel.Tub removal and shower install.

Users who are viewing this thread

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
I have a quick Couple of questions.
The tub has a vent that attaches to the drain. Do I still need this for a shower or can I remove it?
Also under my sink there are some shut off valves that need replaced. They almost look like they are compression fittings.
Do they really make compression fittings?
If so is it feasible to replace them with compression again?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are talking about the tub overflow, no you won't be needing that. The P-trap, that probably does need a vent, it depends on the length of the run to the main stack and the plumbing code for your location.

As important is that tub drains are only 1-1/2". Shower drains have to be 2". Whatever you have needs to be replaced if it is not 2".

The compression fittings can be replaced with more compression fittings. A compression fitting will often crush the pipe a little when overtightened so there is an increased chance of a leak if you install another one. If you have enough pipe, cut it back a bit before installing the new ones.

Last edited:

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the house is a single level built on a slab foundation. Is it possible that that the existing tub drain was vented in addition to the overflow??
I will post pics of what I have in the morning. Maybe you can help walk me through it. I am no plumber. But I can do it with a little guidance.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The tub overflow is not a vent, but down below, there IS a vent, and that must be maintained.

Nothing wrong with compression connection for the stop valves, and you can almost always replace them with another compression valve. You can sometimes reuse the nut and ferrule, I prefer to remove them and use new nut and ferrule. You will need an inexpensive puller tool to do this.

There can be issues with the copper, mainly caused if the old valve was way overtightened on install. So when you tackle this job, allow time for trips to hardwares store, or a quick forum query, if you run into trouble! Pictures as you go along are always helpful.

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
I like the sound of the existing vent! . There is a 1.5" pipe that goes into the slab near the tub drain. The pipe comes up and turns into the wall and heads towards the toilet/sink area. It seems to me this may be the vent. The pipe runs horizontal at about 4' high in the wall.

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
Now I am trying to get the drain out of the tub.. Holy Mackerel. Is there a special too to get the strainer out??
Also Is this tool and the one to remove the Ferruel available at Lowes??

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can try using a dumbell wrench if there are cross bars in it.

Chances are it will come down to this....

tubdrain.jpg

Lowes does sell dumbell wrenches... Hopefully you can find a smockman that knows what one is...:eek:

Maybe google image it before you go....:D

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks. Also got the new shut off valves installed for the sink.

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
Next issue. My existing drain is 1.5". From reading the forums I understand The shower drain should be 2". My problem is the drain goes directly into the slap and makes it almost impossible to change. I would have to tear out the other bathroom to get to it. Will a 1.5" drain be sufficient. I have only taken showers in the bath/shower that was there before and there has never been any draining issues.
I am replacing the tub/shower with the Kerdi system.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You will have to follow the pipe to where it connects to a larger pipe, or, abandon the drain and run a new one to a different larger drain.

Can't tell from here... Sounds tike time to break slab...

You don't have a post tension slab do you?

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
I believe it is a re bar type.

How deep is the main pipe usually??

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
I don't think taking out concrete will be an option. I know it is not up to code. To get to the main drain I would have under the bathtub in the adjacent bathroom. Has anyone ever ran 1.5 for a shower and how did it work out?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
UUUUH OHHH!
Bad Answer!

The 2" drain size usuall prevents ankle deep showers and water spilling over the curb.

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
How is it that I have always taken a shower in this tub/shower and it has never backed up? Same thing right??

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Codes don't always make sense 100% of the time but they should be followed. Who's to say that somewhere a couple years down the road and it becomes an issue.

Used to be in Florida the smallest sanitary pipe in the ground would be 2". They might have bushed down to 1.5" at the trap connection or after your vent.

killavolt

In the Trades
Reaction score
"99% of Being Smart...
Is Knowing What You're Dumb At"
:eek:
Ok, bearing the above statement in mind, why can you take a shower in a bath tub with a 1 1/2" drain? I know code requires a 2" drain for a shower, and you usually have a 4" curb there. How about the vent; if that is 1 1/2" does he have to change that out too?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Ok, bearing the above statement in mind, why can you take a shower in a bath tub with a 1 1/2" drain? I know code requires a 2" drain for a shower, and you usually have a 4" curb there.

A tub will hold 50 gallons or more in the event of a drain failure.

How about the vent; if that is 1 1/2" does he have to change that out too?

A 1-1/2" vent would be sufficient to vent the sink individually, the tub individually or both the sink and tub if plumbed correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks