Bathroom remodel, tentative plumbing layout

Users who are viewing this thread

1mgEpi

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to run my tentative layout by some more knowledgeable people.
We are doing a bathroom remodel and relocating the toilet, adding a second sink, and changing what used to be a large corner tub for a shower.

Here's what I have so far:
plumbing layout.png

Green is 3 inch, blue is 2 inch and yellow is 1.5 inch.
The three vents are already in place, so I'm working with/around those. The one above the sinks is currently 1.5 inches, which I will up-size to 2 inches as it is wet venting the new toilet + two sinks.
The 3 inch run from the toilet on left to the main drain was previously 2 inch (there was a shower where my new toilet will be located).
There is a steel beam supporting the house on the top-left of the main drain (hence why the toilet/sinks drain connect at a lower point).

My main questions are:
1- Overall, does this make sense? Anything that jumps to your eyes?
2- Are the number of turns (currently 3x 90 degrees) from toilet to main drain too much? Will that cause problems?
Instead of doing a vertical drop and then back to horizontal, I could do a 45 degree angle maybe? (As mentioned above I cannot tie into the main drain on the same horizontal plan as there is a beam in the way.)
3- Am I fine to cap where the old toilet flange was located? The 3 inch vent remains hooked to the drain.

Thank you very much!
Nick

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think in Canada, the 1.5" vent above the lavs is good enough for the toilet too.
The wet portion I would do in 2".
Make sure the vent for the shower comes off the top, normally a santee for that.

1mgEpi

Reaction score
Hi Terry,
Thank you for your advice!
Taking those into account, here's what I have:

plumbing2.png

Is there anything else I can improve?
Thanks!

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The vent for the shower needs to rise vertically (at least 45 above level) to at least 6" above the shower flood rim before it can turn horizontal.

Cheers, Wayne

1mgEpi

Reaction score
Hi Wayne, thanks for the input!

Would this be an acceptable solution?
20220429_191852.jpg

In my situation the vent, the shower drain, and the main drain are all offset from each other in both X and Y.

Oh! And there will be a trap under the shower drain, forgot to draw that in.

Thanks!
Nick

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, as long as the trap arm (from trap to san-tee under the vent) falls no more than one pipe diameter (2") but at least 1/4" per foot.

Also, on your 3" WC drain line, where it has to drop and turn 90 degrees in plan, if you have the clearance, the upper 90 (which can be a quarter bend) can be rolled 45 degrees so that your lower 90 (which would need to be LT90) can be replaced with a 45.

Or your upper 90 can be replaced with a 45, and the lower LT90 can be rolled 45 degrees.

Cheers, Wayne

1mgEpi

Reaction score
Okay! Yes I'm pretty sure I can manage to change the drop and 90 turn to a 45 degree slope by doing what you suggested. That connection to the main drain would be lower down and I'd have to open up more wall, but I can manage that if it's for a good cause.
From what I read, doing a slope that is more than 1/4 inch per foot but less than 45 (let's say 22.5) is not recommended, correct?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you talking about putting a 22.5 after the dual lav to start a gradual drop to get under the beam, and then a LT90 go back to 1/4" per foot with a 90 degree turn in plan?

Not sure if the 22.5 would be good, bad, or neutral. Maybe someone else will comment. Using a 45 and then a LT90 would be fine and I think a little better than two 90s, not sure.

Cheers, Wayne

1mgEpi

Reaction score
Here's what I was thinking for my unconventional slope:
20220429_202056.jpg

I have read things about liquids outrunning solids, and then read that it's old wives tales. So I'm perplexed. Erring on the "safe" side I would probably do a 45 slope then.
Nick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks