Bathroom remodel questions for a newbie

Users who are viewing this thread

kcautodoc

Reaction score
First of all, thank you for all the information I have gotten from this site already. I am getting ready to start remodeling the master bath and have gutted out nearly everything. The diagram shows the room as I would like it when it is completed. Previously the shower was only 5’x3’ and a single vanity was where the door is now. The proposed double vanity was a closet before.

The plan is to enlarge the shower and have 4-foot tall walls as drawn in the picture with glass from the top of the wall to the ceiling and a glass door. I have reached a point where I need some instruction on the best way to proceed. I am in Florida and the house is a one story on a concrete slab.

At point A on the drawing is where water for the vanity came out of the concrete. On the hot water side there is a ¾†feeder with three ½†lines off of it. (one to the shower, one will go to the vanity and I think one is to a shower in the next room) On the cold water side there is a ¾†feeder and then three ½†pipes and a ¾†pipe leaving. I assume one for the shower; one will go to the vanity, one to the shower to the other room and then where does the last one go? The toilet?? But wait.

At the shower (point B on the drawing in the middle of the 8-foot wall which is to become a 4-foot wall) there is a 1-1/2" vent pipe, a ½†hot water line and two ½†cold water lines. Are there two cold feeders to the shower or is one of these to the toilet. If one goes to the toilet then what is the other ½†pipe where the old vanity was? Is there a way to find out without tearing up concrete?

If, by chance there is a way to find out without tearing up concrete and there are two colds and a hot at the shower, will that be enough water (assuming the pressure is good) to feed two showerheads at 2.5 gpm each and 4 body jets (0.8 to 2.5 gpm each)?

Is the drain okay to stay where it is?

Can the shower vent be capped if I leave the old vanity vent (there is a 2†venting pipe at the toilet too) or can I pipe a vent over to the sidewall of the shower and then up?

Does anyone have suggestions on the best body jets to buy?

Yes it there are too many questions here. Here are the last two for now. Should I just rip up the concrete and how do you do that without breaking all the pipe inside it?

Sorry for the huge number of questions. I am determined to do this myself and just want to make sure it gets done right.

Thanks again,
Richard

kcautodoc

Reaction score
Where is my picture?? Oh I see the problem. Here is the picture. I hope you can see it okay.

Attachments

• bathroom2.jpg
    bathroom2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 384

kcautodoc

Reaction score
Close up of the shower area. It's 4am so please forgive any misspellings and general shinanigans.

Thanks again,
Richard

Attachments

• bathroom3b.jpg
    bathroom3b.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 421
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks