Bathroom remodel plumbing questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

KLRmoose

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my bathroom and moved my toilet and tub. I decided to do the plumbing in my bathroom. The fixtures (tub, toilet, double sink vanity) is all on the exterior wall of my house (2x4 construction)

I have about 4" of space between concrete and my floor to bring the vent up the exterior wall of my house. If I can't run it vertically due to obstruction and horizontal won't work can I run it up at a 45 degree angle? I was planning on venting the tub approximately 12" from the ptrap. The 45 degree section of the 1.5" vent would only run about 12" before going vertically up the wall.

I was planning on using 1.5" drain and vent for my tub. Toilet is using 3" drain and 2" vent. Double sink vanity is two 1.5" drains to a double sanitary tee with a 2" drain and 1.5" vent. I'm using 1.5" vent to minimize material removed from studs.

Is it OK to run all of my vents into a single 2" vent?

Can vents use sharp bends compared to drains?

Thanks!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) 45 degrees off plumb is still considered vertical for the plumbing code requirements. Dry vent takeoffs have to be vertical and remain vertical until at least 6" above the flood rim of the fixture.

2) Yes, a single 2" vent can vent the whole bathroom (and with wet venting, there would be just one dry vent takeoff at the lavatories, but you've described separate dry vent takeoffs). But there is a rule on aggregate vent area through the roof, for a house with up to 3 WCs it has to be at least a 3" vent or the equivalent area, e.g. (2) 2" vents and (1) 1.5" vent.

3) Only at an elevation of 6" above the flood rim level of the fixture. A vent below that level has to be plumbed like a drain.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sure, but in jurisdictions under the UPC (like Oregon), UPC 905.3 requires that "Vents less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood-level rim of the fixture shall be installed with approved drainage fittings, material, and grade to the drain." So you could only use them above that height.

https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2019/chapter/9/vents#905.3

Cheers, Wayne

Yes this is self evident, being that you cannot offset a vent using a 90 unless your 6" above the flood rim.

The poster was not asking about horizontal venting the question was about a 45 degree fitting. The poster indicated he knew the guidelines but wasn't clear on using "straight fittings" above the flood rim.

That was my reading of the post and how I interpret his question.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes this is self evident, being that you cannot offset a vent using a 90 unless your 6" above the flood rim.
I guess you could, e.g. to turn from rising east to west at 45 degrees off plumb to rising from west to east at 45 degrees off plumb. Which would be weird, but maybe you need to jog around an obstruction. If that were below the elevation of 6" above the flood rim, it would need to be a quarter bend under the UPC.

Anyway, I thought you were disagreeing with part of my answer, but it sounds like we are in agreement.

Cheers, Wayne

KLRmoose

Reaction score
1) 45 degrees off plumb is still considered vertical for the plumbing code requirements. Dry vent takeoffs have to be vertical and remain vertical until at least 6" above the flood rim of the fixture.

2) Yes, a single 2" vent can vent the whole bathroom (and with wet venting, there would be just one dry vent takeoff at the lavatories, but you've described separate dry vent takeoffs). But there is a rule on aggregate vent area through the roof, for a house with up to 3 WCs it has to be at least a 3" vent or the equivalent area, e.g. (2) 2" vents and (1) 1.5" vent.

3) Only at an elevation of 6" above the flood rim level of the fixture. A vent below that level has to be plumbed like a drain.

Cheers, Wayne

Thank you!

My vents turn 90 degrees about 3' above the flood rim level (~54" from floor) and are sloped accordingly.

If I'm understanding aggregate vent area the vents have to be matched to the main drain size. I have 2 full baths, washer, utility sink that's not hooked up, and kitchen sink. I believe that's considered 9 fixtures. 3 - 1.5" and 1 - 2" vents through the roof currently and I'm adding a 2" vent. I believe I am adequate.

Last edited:

KLRmoose

Reaction score

The poster was not asking about horizontal venting the question was about a 45 degree fitting. The poster indicated he knew the guidelines but wasn't clear on using "straight fittings" above the flood rim.

That was my reading of the post and how I interpret his question.

Yes that is exactly what I was trying to say. Sorry if my terminology is hard to understand. I'm well above the flood rim level

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My vents turn 90 degrees about 3' above the flood rim level (~54" from floor) and are sloped accordingly.
Then you can use any 90 you want; in my limited experience the regular quarter bend is cheaper than a vent 90 or a LT 90, so I would only use a vent 90 when space is tight and it helps.

If I'm understanding aggregate vent area the vents have to be matched to the main drain size.
The total vent area has to match the area of the minimum allowable building drain, not the building drain you actually have. So that's 3" for up to 3 water closets for the regular UPC. I think I remember an Oregon amendment that increases the number WCs allowed on a 3" building drain to 4 or 5, not sure about that.

I have 2 full baths, washer, utility sink that's not hooked up, and kitchen sink. I believe that's considered 9 fixtures. 3 - 1.5" and 1 - 2" vents through the roof currently and I'm adding a 2" vent. I believe I am adequate.
Yes, each WC needs a 2" vent, so you're fine. If you wanted to combine any of those vents before going through the roof, you could combine the (2) 2" vents to end up with (1) 2" vent plus (3) 1.5" vents through the roof; or you could combine all (3) 1.5" vents and end up with (2) 2" vents plus (1) 1.5" vent through the roof. [Or you could combine them all into a 3" vent.] Both of those options have an area bigger than the minimum of a single 3" vent.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks