Bathroom remodel - long spout???

Users who are viewing this thread

OldRadio99

Reaction score
We are in planning stages of a bathroom model and are just beginning to purchase all the materials needed.

We had planned on using an American Standard tub model 2425L, However, if you look at the tech drawing of the tub, it appears to be 10 1/2 inches from the edge of the tub (wall) to the center of the drain.

Where am I going to find a wall spout (or even a deck mount spout) that is 11-12" long?

Help! This is the last step in solving this problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They're not easy to find and likely expensive. I did find this one that is 12" long, but hold your breath when you see the price...it's made by Grohe.Talia 12'' Tub Spout - 13617

It will also depend on whether you need a spout with a built-in divertor.

Had you considered a deck mounted spout?

OldRadio99

Reaction score
There is not enough of a deck do drill through the tub so any Roman faucet would have to be as long - 10"+ plus

OldRadio99

Reaction score
I just looked. The $200 doesnt scare me but the fact that it doesnt come in stainless steel or nickle does.

Wife does not want chrome.

DCT

Reaction score
Novice question on tub spout length

Hi all,
novice question here... we are remodeling our bathroom and replacing the existing tub/shower with a new tub/shower and all new hardware. When selecting a tub spout, how important is it to match the length of the spout with the distance of the tub drain from the edge of the tub? That is, how close in length should those be?

I never would have even thought about this, except that I ran across this earlier post and then got worried about the issue. The tub we are considering is the Americh Madison 6034 soaking tub, which has a spec of 8.5" from edge of tub to center of drain. Given that, what range of tub spout lengths would it be advisable to consider? We're most likely going to be buying our hardware from California Faucets, and their various different models of tub spouts range in length from 5 3/4" to 10". If it matters (and I presume that it does...?), the finished (tiled) wall should be about 1.5" from the rough framing.

FWIW, we've been shopping at 3 different bath hardware stores, and none of the salespeople asked me about the tub drain spec before recommending a tub spout.

Thanks so much for any advice.

-DCT

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As long as the spout doesn't dribble on the lip of the tub, the length isn't a big factor. You probably don't want it so short it hits the curve at the bottom of the tub which could cause it to spray all over, but you'd need some high water pressure for that to happen. YOu don't want it so long it is likely to become a hazard in the tub or used as a foot perch or safety bar, since it won't handle that. IOW, there is no 'perfect' length, but it must be long enough. Hitting the drain is irrelevant.

DCT

Reaction score
Thank you

Hi HJ and jadnashua,
thank you both for your time and advice. You've helped a lot!
Best regards,
dct

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Spout

Hitting the curve of the tub is not a factor because it wil just redirect the flow not cause a splash, (in fact the flat bottom of the tub will be what would cause a splash), and even then it would only be for a short time until the water fills enough to cover the curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks