Bathroom remodel DWV Routing

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonathan Doucette

Reaction score
BF6022A8-C253-416F-AE6F-68E329EB1296.jpeg
Hi all.
I am planning a bathroom Reno. I have read a lot and looked at a lot of diagrams but hoping to get some advice on my proposed venting will work in this situation? Or is an additional vent required?
Thanks

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does not work as shown.

First, what's coming in on the 3" line on the left? In the US, nothing would be allowed if you want to use horizontal wet venting. IIRC Canada does allow a single fixture of limited DFU to come through a horizontal wet vent like that. So if it's just a kitchen sink or something like that, you could check the details on that and see if it works.

Second, and more importantly, the lav is providing the dry vent for the horizontal wet vent. That means it has to be one of the two upstream most fixtures on the horizontal wet vent. You can't have both the shower and the WC upstream of the lav on the horizontal wet vent.

So you'd either need to reorder connections for the lav to come in between the shower and the WC, or add a dry vent to the shower.

Cheers, Wayne

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Not a plumber … pretty sure the toilet has to be the last fixture on a wet vent system in Canada. The National Plumbing Code of Canada is a free download.

Jonathan Doucette

Reaction score
Does not work as shown.

First, what's coming in on the 3" line on the left? In the US, nothing would be allowed if you want to use horizontal wet venting. IIRC Canada does allow a single fixture of limited DFU to come through a horizontal wet vent like that. So if it's just a kitchen sink or something like that, you could check the details on that and see if it works.

Second, and more importantly, the lav is providing the dry vent for the horizontal wet vent. That means it has to be one of the two upstream most fixtures on the horizontal wet vent. You can't have both the shower and the WC upstream of the lav on the horizontal wet vent.

So you'd either need to reorder connections for the lav to come in between the shower and the WC, or add a dry vent to the shower.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks for the reply.
I have did a bit more investigation and updated the drawing after. The main stack is closer than I thought. There is a a kitchen sink/ dishwasher on the left, draining into this horizontal section.
Based on this, is the best scenario for all 3 bathroom fixtures to have thier own vent? This is possible but not looking to do it if it isn't needed/ best scenario.
Thanks again!!
9C79942F-857C-4BC8-B6B2-E93DF0524D5E.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks